General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

IAT problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: IAT problems

Which connector do you have, the original 12-pin (93) or a newer 16-pin (95)? I can probably dig one up. Message me the address. USPS ground ok or faster?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by grabbem88
This IAT thing is driving me crazy btw

If everything checks out then what I suspect the ECM?

I went to work last night and left everything plugged as it should and I didn't make 500 feet before I had enough and pulled over and unplugged the stupid thing..

And my car threw no codes when I took vacuum line off fpr but came on when plugged in at wot.... Any insight on that?? Borrowing gauge tonight since my attachments disappeared to confirm my psi
What was the code that turned on the SES light? You don't need Scan9495 to pull that on a 93.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 AM

Answering both

First it's a 93 12 pin

Second only code is 55
Old 01-27-2015, 02:50 PM
Administrator

When you disconnected the FPR vacuum compensation line, did you plug it to prevent a vacuum leak? With the compensation line unhooked (but plugged) the injectors will be flowing 10% more fuel at idle, and under moderate (high vacuum) cruise conditions. The O2 sensors will pick up the richer mixture, and the ECM lowers the BLM's to cut back on the injector pulse widths. It will take a while for all BLM cells to stabilize for the new low load fuel pressure.

If the BLM's were already elevated, as could be indicated by the earlier system lean code, when the ECM lowered the BLM's in response to the higher fuel pressure (at higher vacuum conditions), when you reattached the vacuum line, the artificially lowered BLM's were not high enough to supply all the fuel the engines appears to need in PE mode - hence DTC 55.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:44 PM

Yes it was plugged

Code 55. From the very very beginning was my other issue other than IAT
Old 01-27-2015, 05:53 PM

I ordered a cable then ill download that app

Maybe we can figure what's really going on with this car
Old 01-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by grabbem88

Code 55. From the very very beginning was my other issue other than IAT
I'm aware of that, I have actually read everything you wrote, trying to help you. But the latest post only indicated the SES light came on, not what the code was. Seemed to me a reasonable question to ask. Didn't mean to annoy you.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 AM

Lol Fred I thought we were on the same page

The only annoying thing is the car not you or doug

Sorry about that
Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 AM

I let the car sit for a few days. Tried to start it and just cranked and stumbled a tad and that's it... Tried 4 or 5 times ... Squirted some starting fluid and it fired right up..

I guess I got problems lol
Old 02-06-2015, 06:52 AM

Would a cracked or bad ect effect the IAT/map issue I'm having even without throwing that specific code?

Would it make the car go lean if computer thinks its rich from the ect to IAT to map throwing my o2's in limbo??

And these hard starts??
Old 02-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Administrator

It will affect the way the engine runs. If the coolant temp sensor for the ECM is telling the ECM that engine is cold, the ECM richens the A/F mixture for cold start. The ECM will not go into closed loop when the coolant sensor is reading below 120*F.

You are only likely to get a code for the ECT if the circuit is open, or shorted, not likely to get a code just because the sensor is reporting the wrong temperature. The ECT gets checked the same as the IAT, using the same table of temperature vs. resistance.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
It will affect the way the engine runs. If the coolant temp sensor for the ECM is telling the ECM that engine is cold, the ECM richens the A/F mixture for cold start. The ECM will not go into closed loop when the coolant sensor is reading below 120*F.

You are only likely to get a code for the ECT if the circuit is open, or shorted, not likely to get a code just because the sensor is reporting the wrong temperature. The ECT gets checked the same as the IAT, using the same table of temperature vs. resistance.
Ok I understand that and I went ahead got one just to see and still getting aweful performance

I did manage to try out that scan9495 and recorded a bit at idle very long idle to get everything at temp

No clue on the rest like electrical since mine is 93 I can't read transmission or electrical but if I put 94 I can click but no reading and either from doing that or messing with the egr/smog etc the car started smoking out the pipes like a chainsaw and felt like I cracked a piston or lost a ring or two so I reset computer and I'm back to what is normal for this car these days
Old 02-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Prominent Member

Why not post the file somewhere and give us the link so we can look at it? No promises, but might find something interesting. If you don't want to set up a posting place, email it to me and I will post it.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Prominent Member

Both scan files are in this folder: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xha...3gq6/grabbem88
Old 02-06-2015, 08:42 PM

Thanks for all your help today and posting up whatever I recorded...

I'm pretty green in this area

Quick Reply: IAT problems