General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

I have Solved the Power Window Issue :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Blue96z28
Read this and tell me what you think.

My pass. side window rolls down but not up via the pass. side switch, but goes up and down flawless via the drivers....must be the switch right? Just reaplaced it with a brand new one and it does the same thing. Cant be the motor if it works flawlessly via the drivers switch, so it must be wiring? It has done this since i bought it and i've taken he door panel off 2 or 3 times so i couldnt really be a pinched wire or anything.....what are my options?

repost
Mine did that and the passenger side switch was the problem. If you replaced that, then the next thing to replace would be the driver's switch.

On another note, has anyone taken pics of the wiring and stuff noted above yet? I'd like to see some pics so I can get an idea of what I need to do to my car. I'd like to try this, but I'm afraid to without seeing pics first.

And has anyone besides the original poster tried this setup and seen positive results? My windows roll up and down just fine right now, just slower than I'd like to so I thought I might try this before I ran into problems if others have tried it with success.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:49 AM

Well I have been running it for a while now and Just as quick as the day I put it in. I'll have to take My door apart to take pictures so be patient
Old 07-08-2004, 11:25 AM

Sounds like I have something new to try when I put my new window mounts in. Can't wait for some pics.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:37 PM
RMC

On the schematic what's "FROM B+" supposed to indicate?
Is that a spot in the fuse box or where?

Also, how is this interacting with the original system? Is it totally in place of the factory setup or spliced off of it? Also what about the auto down functionality and wiring.

I guess I'm still not really clear exactly what you did and how it's different than the stock setup.

Get pictures and better diagrams I'm very intrigued.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:01 PM

Am I correct in assuming that this must be done to each door?

And where did you locate the relays you're using?
Old 07-08-2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by JOE96Z28SS
Young Jedi Protoge' You have much to learn I think the biggest problem with Electric waterpumps is NOT the pump but the guy wiring it I used a 30A Relay and ran it straight to the battery (I figure the relay will act as the fuse) and I have had it for a while now and No problems. Undercurrent is the WORST enemy of motors and I think as parts wear the load on the motors increase and the stock wiring just can't cut it anymore. And most of us are changing window motors anyway so I may create a "Plug In" system and sell it.
I think the CSI pump calls for a 15 or 20 amp relay circuit. I also did the same as you and got a 30 amp relay harness for my pump.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by RMC
On the schematic what's "FROM B+" supposed to indicate?
Is that a spot in the fuse box or where?

Also, how is this interacting with the original system? Is it totally in place of the factory setup or spliced off of it? Also what about the auto down functionality and wiring.

I guess I'm still not really clear exactly what you did and how it's different than the stock setup.

Get pictures and better diagrams I'm very intrigued.
the B+ is the code for a hot wire or somewhere where it can get power ie. fuse box. i understand exaclty how he drew teh picutre up an di might try it soon. i think u do have to put in a relay in each separated door for each window. i could be wrong though. still waitin on pics and info from him. hope this works like he said. probably will cost about 20 bucks total ike he said. radioshack has the relays for about 5 bucks a piece so thats 10 and wireing and shrinkwrap, miscellaneous stuff is the other ten im guessing. if im wrong correct me man. let us know asap thanks.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:13 PM

Thumbs up

Pics please, there isnt much life left in my passenger side motor.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Blue96z28
Read this and tell me what you think.

My pass. side window rolls down but not up via the pass. side switch, but goes up and down flawless via the drivers....must be the switch right? Just reaplaced it with a brand new one and it does the same thing. Cant be the motor if it works flawlessly via the drivers switch, so it must be wiring? It has done this since i bought it and i've taken he door panel off 2 or 3 times so i couldnt really be a pinched wire or anything.....what are my options?

repost
Originally posted by LWillmann
Mine did that and the passenger side switch was the problem. If you replaced that, then the next thing to replace would be the driver's switch.

Thanks for the response? What do u mean by it could be the drivers switch, the drivers side switch will roll the window up and down no problem? but i replaced the pass. side with no change....are you saying that the switches are somehow wired where if one fails they both act funny? sort of like turnsignals or something.......
Old 07-08-2004, 08:37 PM

correct me if i'm wrong, but won't you need 2 relays in each door?1 for up and the other for down.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:24 PM

Man, if you were to make these modules and sell them, I kid you not I would buy 12 of them. After this weekend perhaps 14. You need to make this a plug in application, and start selling it!
Old 07-09-2004, 12:13 AM

"Man, if you were to make these modules and sell them, I kid you not I would buy 12 of them. After this weekend perhaps 14. You need to make this a plug in application, and start selling it!"

Me too! Make them Plug n Play and you would make hundreds of owners very happy. Sign me up for both doors.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:04 AM

Hell yeah the relay thing would be assume to mass produce......

but can anyone answer my question about the switch issue, does anyone have any experience with this......
Old 07-09-2004, 06:49 AM

Yes, they are wired together so that if one goes bad, the other might work and might not. When my passenger side switch finally went totally bad, the driver's side wouldn't work at all.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:25 AM

OK, I just want to get this straight.....

.....you ran the original wires that come from the switch (up/down) to relays now, instead of directly to the motors? And the power/ground wires to the motors are now heavy gauge wire, instead of lighter gauge as they were originally?

If that's the case, it makes perfect sense to me, and doesn't sound all that difficult to do. Oh yeah, did you put all these relays in the door panels near the switches? I think that's what you said?

Well, since I've already had the driver's side motor replaced, and the passenger's is starting to seem a little slower than it used to, I may have to make this a little day-project. Nice work!

Quick Reply: I have Solved the Power Window Issue :)