General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

I have Solved the Power Window Issue :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by FireHawk409
Do you happen to have pictures of how everything looked installed?
I have to take it back apart tomorrow to have my brother re-rivet the mount as the rivets are loose and the window makes a lot of noise due to it actually moving at the right speed I will snap some pics and E-Mail them so they can be posted
Old 06-07-2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by JOE96Z28SS
I have to take it back apart tomorrow to have my brother re-rivet the mount as the rivets are loose and the window makes a lot of noise due to it actually moving at the right speed I will snap some pics and E-Mail them so they can be posted
Do me a favor and save them as .jpg instead of .bmp if you can. PITA messing with .bmp files because of their size. If you can't, it's no big deal though
Old 06-07-2004, 10:14 PM

Yea pictures would be awesome! Schematics like that make my brain hurt
Old 06-07-2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Spinner
Do me a favor and save them as .jpg instead of .bmp if you can. PITA messing with .bmp files because of their size. If you can't, it's no big deal though
No problem, I just did it in paint really quick, the pics will be jpegs The only bitch is I heatshaunk EVERYTHING so you won't see the connections but you will see the placement in the door
Old 06-07-2004, 11:30 PM

I am still a little confused whether it will help as a long-term solution. Suggested method are forcing motors operate faster and better due to increased current through them. That can possibly burn them. But actually they are supposed to take this load. From other side - if motors are became stuck by some mechanical reason even with stock wiring - it will result in current increase too, and I think it will be higher than in suggested method and more dangerous to them (like headlights motors opening/closing stopping method). I'll give it a try tomorrow
Old 06-07-2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by valter
I am still a little confused whether it will help as a long-term solution. Suggested method are forcing motors operate faster and better due to increased current through them. That can possibly burn them. But actually they are supposed to take this load. From other side - if motors are became stuck by some mechanical reason even with stock wiring - it will result in current increase too, and I think it will be higher than in suggested method and more dangerous to them (like headlights motors opening/closing stopping method). I'll give it a try tomorrow
In the electric world, that logic makes no sense. A bigger wire will let them handle the load they NEED t work right. IF they cant get enough current, they will burn. They will not get more then they should because of a larger wire.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:49 PM

Awesome hope this works!
Old 06-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Nice! Hopefully this is a good long term solution.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:39 AM

has anyone else tried it yet? post your results.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by valter
Young Jedi Protoge' You have much to learn I think the biggest problem with Electric waterpumps is NOT the pump but the guy wiring it I used a 30A Relay and ran it straight to the battery (I figure the relay will act as the fuse) and I have had it for a while now and No problems. Undercurrent is the WORST enemy of motors and I think as parts wear the load on the motors increase and the stock wiring just can't cut it anymore. And most of us are changing window motors anyway so I may create a "Plug In" system and sell it.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:50 AM

>> Undercurrent is the WORST enemy of motors

I would absolutely agree with you on that. This is especially true for compressors and other high-load motor-driven components.

>> And most of us are changing window motors anyway so I may create a "Plug In" system and sell it.

You need to act fast, that is potentially even better then O2 sims
Old 06-08-2004, 11:03 AM

Just as a note, other people have said they have solved the window motor problem by bypassing the thermal limiter in the motor. So, there may be more factors at work. Obviously, this won't "fix" a bad motor. It will give a motor plenty of power, though and potentially speed it up.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:07 AM

But what has me convinced is I replaced EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING except the glass!!! and it still went bad, the thermal limiter is there so you won't have a fire in your door, I'd NEVER bypass that but the Oxydation of the conductors in the switch, I believe are the culprits. Also GM has had bullitens in the past about bonnevilles having undercurrent problems through the switches, that's why they have door modules now!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:26 AM

Thumbs up

I assume a Camaro's window motor setup is the same as in the Firebirds, right?

This is great news; My driver side motor failed and the dealer raped me $$$ wise and also scratched the window in some places

I'm no electrician but some pictures of the actual setup might help
Old 07-08-2004, 08:03 AM

Read this and tell me what you think.

My pass. side window rolls down but not up via the pass. side switch, but goes up and down flawless via the drivers....must be the switch right? Just reaplaced it with a brand new one and it does the same thing. Cant be the motor if it works flawlessly via the drivers switch, so it must be wiring? It has done this since i bought it and i've taken he door panel off 2 or 3 times so i couldnt really be a pinched wire or anything.....what are my options?

repost

Quick Reply: I have Solved the Power Window Issue :)