General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Hypothetical 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:42 PM

Hypothetical 3rd Gen

Haven't been on here in a while & the place looks new. I'm hoping I am placing this in the right location. I've got an '85 Camaro Z28 that's been apart for longer than I care to remember (I think 8 years). When I bought the car I was going to do some autocrossing in SCCA ESP and hoped to eventually do the "One Lap of America" with it. Well, its time that I start "picking at it" again. Forget autocrossing - I've got an '80 RX7 I'll use for that. I want to focus on doing FATT's at Summit Point and the One Lap. There are 3 things - a budget of about $20k. No, I'll never see that money back; but I've moved this car 3 times, in pieces so its not likely I'll be parting with it anytime soon. Second thing - if something breaks, it would be nice to be able to walk into Advance Auto or the local Chevy dealership and walk out with the replacement parts. The third thing - retain a functional back seat. No kids yet but, when they do arrive, it would be nice to not have to thin the herd because I have too many cars that are 2-seaters.

Most of the work I've done has been to strip the car so a friend could weld in patch panels and clean the car up (I've never seen a car with this much grease on it) What I've done so far, and none of this needs to stay - I have a 305-H that has new rings and bearings. (this rebuild was only to get it moving under its own power again - not necessarily keep it). It has a disc brake rear out of an '88 WS-6 with a 3.2? gear. Spohn LCA relocation brackets and (who knows what brand) tubular LCA's. Polygraphite bushings in the front. Eibach Sportline Springs. Flowmaster cat-back. I've also got a variety of factory sway bars. The car has a 5 speed.

So where do I go? I think I want to put 5th gen Vette brakes on the front & LS1 Camaro brakes on the rear (unless someone has a cheaper / more effective alternative). (I used to have links to the cat that had a parts list and step by step instructions for modifying the spindle and bracket drawings but lost those). Those will require 17 wheels. I don't mind spending $$ on good brakes and wheels & tires. But do I get a LS2/3/6 and a 6 speed? Build a roller 350? I think I've ruled out a TPI motor. Camber Caster Plates? Swap in a set of coil-overs? Ideas?

I've been out of the game for a long time so any help making my shopping list would be appreciated.

-Keith
Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 PM

Sounds like your plans echo mine a bit. I went with a LS2/mn12 out of a 06 GTO. I wanted A/C so the accessory placement was important. If you want bolt in power, this is probably a good way to go. (i dunno if any accessory systems from a LS3 will work, i know camaro LS1, gto LS2 do work. LSx power FTW though) Knowing what i do now, i would have bought a LQ9 shortblock and built it from there, i think i would be making more power for less money. Plus i plan on FI someday, so an iron block would be nice, but live and learn. I also bought a spohn tubular K member so i had some more room to get at things in the engine bay. I pondered a coil over front suspension, but decided against it, it is much more than i would truely ever need. I went with Bilstein struts/shocks, lowering springs, and rebuilt the spindle, and the stock control arm, added C5 brakes. I also have LS1 rears. With all the mods in my sig, and paint, i'm right at about $22,000. I've done all the work cept spraying the paint, so i think your budget is definitely doable. Feel free to pm me on anything, my car still isn't done yet, so i can't tell you how my mods work all together yet, but from rides i've been in, together they should work well together. My goal is to have a car that i built that will completely outperform any car that someone can buy for what i have into it. Sure they're not new, but i built it
Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 PM

i don't know if you have ever checked out thirdgen.org There is A LOT of info there concerning mods. Lots of people have tried many different approaches to making their car the way they want, so you can really research what you want before you buy, and know what to expect of it.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:53 PM

Hey thanks for your input.

At least I know my plans are somewhat doable.

I have checked out the third gens website. Its like information-overload though.

I've started to make a spread sheet to keep track of everything I want to do.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 05:18 PM

haha, sounds like a plan, just don't add up the receipts.....ever! Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions as you go, i might be able to help.

Last edited by will4831; 11-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.