General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How would you improve the NVH of a classic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM

How would you improve the NVH of a classic?

I have a '69 RS/SS with an MPFI 502 and a TKO-600. It's fast enough for my purposes, but it's not a lot of fun to drive when you're not actually at WOT. I really want to improve the NVH.

When I say "NVH", I mean the ride quality, noise, vibration, harshness, rattles, and all the other things that make a '69 Camaro different than a Lexus LS460. I'm not aiming -at- the Lexus experience, of course, just towards it.

Basically, it drives like a newish '69. But that's not a great starting point, and there are a lot of extra noises from headers, roller rockers, a short intake path, and so on.

It seems there are a ton of products out there for improving handling (I could just bust out the DSE catalog), and some of them will help the driving quality experience, but not all.

So where should I focus my time and money? I can think of a few things, but not sure how much they'd help, so I'm really looking for comments on which of these should be first and anything I'm missing.

When I mention things like subframe connectors, I know they serve a useful purpose, but I'm wondering more if they serve the purpose of improving the quality of the ride. I'm not trying (today) to make it hook up better, for example.

- Subframe connectors. I assume they'd stiffen the structure and probably eliminate some squeaks and rattles?

- Sound deadending. I probably have the factory jute and maybe the asphalt layer, but would dynamat really make a big difference?

- Tightening up the dash. I hate to take it apart for no reason, but it just doesn't seem very solid.

- Seats. I'm 6' 2" and have short legs, so my head touches the roof even with the seat all the way back. I'd consider a period-correct looking seat that was more comfortable if it wasn't also higher.

To do subframe connectors I'd have to remove the interior to weld them anyway, so just trying to plan.

Input and ideas from experience are very welcome!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-02-2012, 05:35 PM

Re: How would you improve the NVH of a classic?

A LOT of the reduced NVH in modern cars comes from the actual structure. It's baked in. It will be hard to improve the NVH of an old car.

With that said, anything you can do to make the structure more rigid would be a good start. When you do that, however, you have to be cautious of the spring & shock specs. If the suspension is too taught, every bump will be telegraphed right into the car. Too soft and it won't handle worth a crap. If there's a way to get more travel in the suspension, that will help with ride compliance.

Certainly Dynamat and those types of products will reduce noise.

I've oversimplified this QUITE a bit, but those are the basics to start with.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:02 PM

Thanks, HuJass! I've wondered, if cost were no object, how much superior a full Art Morrison chassis would be over the alternative of a better front subframe and connectors. Not cheap, to be sure, but would it be "worth it"?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 AM

I've seen full frame set-ups for F bodies. I think they're around 16K for the live axle version and 20K for the IRS version. But they're full frame, have coil overs and rack & pinion steering. Pretty sweet stuff.
If you can't afford that, I would suggest in addition to welded-in subframe connectors, a brace to go behind the dash, from side to side and around the steering column, a driveshaft loop, and maybe another side to side brace behind the rear seat back.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 AM

My sons nearly stock Camaro rides so bad. If makes noises, handles horribly and is no fun to drive. My suspension mods listed made a night and day difference. Stiffening up and replacing old parts with new technology will bring the ride quality up.