General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How hard is it to spin the tires with ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 09:06 AM

Put it this way, I ran a 13.0 in a mid 12 second car because i couldnt keep the tires from spinning.....
Old 04-20-2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by mullettour
What kind of tires do you have?
I know this question was for Aron, but I felt like chiming in here. With the stock GSCs on the car, my auto will get sideways through all of first gear and some of second by just going full throttle from a stop, and a WOT punch at 15 mph ensure total loss of traction for me, exactly as Aron described. I have the factory 3.23s in the rear.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:15 PM

Okay, because I have the same (3.23 auto) but with firehawk sz50's and they don't spin unless I stall the tc a little. Of course, I'm at 3000' altitude also so. . .
Old 04-20-2004, 06:44 PM

my car has the 2.73's..and if i just stomp it, it will spin all the way through 1st, and shift into 2nd gear while spinning. After it shifts into 2nd it stops spinning. Everyone always told me that it was damn near impossible to spin with 2.73's..not with my car/tires..i'm using yokohama Avid T4's..yes..there crap..but i still thought with the 2.73's i would get better traction than i do.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:17 PM

it's all about the tires...i have a 99 m6 and used to work at a tire shop so they save me used tires from corvettes and other ss's and i have had 3 or 4 sets of rear tires on my car for the sole pupose of finishing them off and they all acted very differently as they were al different brands
Old 04-21-2004, 12:30 PM

my tires are Suimitomo sears tires size 245/40/R16 with about 1/3 of the tread left, they are actually pretty good tires, ride smooth, quiet, decent grip. took it to a well prepped drag strip with these tires last week and managed to get traction on the strip On the street, there is just too much power to get really good traction.

Also, I rotate my tires at 5K miles, I've put 15K miles on these tires and all of them have 1/3 tread left, maybe my driving is a bit too aggressive, or maybe I need to quit doing those insane brake stands that fill up a parking lot with tire smoke.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by falchulk
I am not going to drop the clutch, I am sure that will work but I dont want to damage anything.
If you don't want to break anything than just don't do it, as there is no REAL reason to. it's a GOOD thing that your car just takes of and goes. ANY time you burn out you're placing stress on SOMETHING. u joints driveshaft tranny rear gears wearing down rear brake pads...
Personally I think it's cool that your car just GOES.
Reminds me of my dads old vette. that thing NEVER slipped unless you MADE IT SLIP, I just picked up and took off like a bat out of hell.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by AronZ28
my tires are Suimitomo sears tires size 245/40/R16 with about 1/3 of the tread left, they are actually pretty good tires, ride smooth, quiet, decent grip. took it to a well prepped drag strip with these tires last week and managed to get traction on the strip On the street, there is just too much power to get really good traction.

Also, I rotate my tires at 5K miles, I've put 15K miles on these tires and all of them have 1/3 tread left, maybe my driving is a bit too aggressive, or maybe I need to quit doing those insane brake stands that fill up a parking lot with tire smoke.
I actually had those I think the model was htr50z(245/50/zr16 stock tire size) on my car before I put the firehawks on and compared to the traction with the firehawks they sucked, but that was in florida at sea level and now I'm at 3000'. When I was in florida with those tires I could spin the tires all day long.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:41 PM

"If you don't want to break anything than just don't do it, as there is no REAL reason to. it's a GOOD thing that your car just takes of and goes."

Ummmm...

Hmmm....

You guys are killin' me. How did I get onto 'HondaS2000.com'? Don't want to break anything? Just goes???? Why not just tell him to castrate himself and meanwhile just to add insult to injury go park his poor car in a covered trailer? Listen buddy, if you wont do it for yourself, do it for your car. Its like not letting your 18 yo daughter go to prom. Its a crime. Stop the madness. Do the following...

No, seriously, do the folowing-

1st gear. 3000RPM. Over the course of about 1 second (its a long time) clutch all the way out, gas all the way in. then modulate the gas so you're not spinning past about 3-4k. Leave it there as long as you want. Make sure windows are open so you can smell the smoke and hear her scream.

I guarantee you wont break a dam* thing. U joints? Give me a break.

Now that she's had her first smoke light up a cigarette and join her. I welcome both of you to the world of american heavy metal. You can thank me later. Dont forget to wipe that silly grin off your face.

No seriously, do it. Seriously.

SERIOUSLY

Last edited by SSTAT; 04-21-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by SSTAT
"If you don't want to break anything than just don't do it, as there is no REAL reason to. it's a GOOD thing that your car just takes of and goes."

Ummmm...

Hmmm....

You guys are killin' me. How did I get onto 'HondaS2000.com'? Don't want to break anything? Just goes???? Why not just tell him to castrate himself and meanwhile just to add insult to injury go park his poor car in a covered trailer? Listen buddy, if you wont do it for yourself, do it for your car. Its like not letting your 18 yo daughter go to prom. Its a crime. Stop the madness. Do the following...

1st gear. 3000RPM. Over the course of about 1 second (its a long time) clutch all the way out, gas all the way in. then modulate the gas so you're not spinning past about 3-4k. Leave it there as long as you want. Make sure windows are open so you can smell the smoke and hear her scream.

Now that she's had her first smoke light up a cigarette and join her. I welcome both of you to the world of american heavy metal. You can thank me later. Dont forget to wipe that silly grin off your face.

SERIOUSLY
You must be a mechanic? to tell him what will and won't break. Can you also provide him with a garauntee???

Falchulk, It won't hurt your car to dump the clutch (it takes a SECOND to dump the clutch and lay on the gas) and burn em here and there, but if you do it all the time, yes you'll **** your money away on parts and you'll notive those launches won't be AS tight.

Another thing, once you break them loose in first, and bring the rpms up, shift into second QUICKLY (i mean quick) you'll break loose in second.

Then, even out your rpms and FEATHER the brake. you can lay them down as long as you want from there... keep the car rolling at a moderate pace with the brake but keep them back wheels spinning... Don't mess with your first gear too long like that dude said. and DON"T MISS SECOND.

If my old 93 lt1 m6 with 2.73's could do it, your car Definitely can, it just takes some practice... don't be embarressed if you don't get it the first couple of times... I would make sure you're alone when you do it until your confident. or at least as confident as sstat thinks he is.

sstat- judging by our conversation here, you would rather spin your wheels where i would rather take off and go.
what would happen if we were to line up?

I'm not trying to make an enemy whatsoever. but don't tell ME what american heavy metal is.

"No seriously, do it. Seriously.

SERIOUSLY" - sounds like beavis and butthead.

Let me know if you need a deal on some universal joints.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:31 AM

if I upgrade to 275/40/R17 tires, will I get significantly more traction or not?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:57 AM

if I upgrade to 275/40/R17 tires, will I get significantly more traction or not?
I notice a LITTLE more traction with my 275/40/zr17's, plus it looks a helluva lot meaner since the back wheels stick out further.
I had the wheels on my current camaro on my old 93m6... I think it helped out a lot in that car.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:48 PM

Again, really depends on the tires, but you should get more traction. Remember, the sidewall on 17's is narrower than for 16's, and typically stiffer. Stiffer sidewalls generally transfer more power faster than the slightly more flexible (and power absorbing) 16's sidewalls.
In my experience (A4 with 3:42's) I can pop the gas and essentially snap the 17's (285's) loose easier than the original 245 16s. If I smoothly apply gas I can get more power down faster than in the 245 16's.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:17 PM

Wow. I apologize to everyone who wastes their time reading this but ...

1. No, I'm not a mechanic.
2. 2001 LS1 with 20K miles. Yes, I guarantee he wont break doing a burnout.
3. What is the title of the thread? I thought it was about spinning the tires. Now you want to talk traction and "line up" with me?? Good Lord Bevis.
4. C'mon man! You know I love ya! But you just tried to convince a guy who WANTS to do a burnout in an LS1 that it is ok NOT to! How could you not expect some kind of response to that?

The point is, the guy was asking about how to do what every red blooded american car enthusiast has done for the last 50 years and God willing will continue to do. A classic burnout. I guess I just dont understand anyone who tries to convince him otherwise, broken parts or not, but I digress. Good luck to you buddy, remember what I said about the grin- (I wont be coming back to this thread, like I said - stop the madness!)

OK, I cant help it. This is for the sake of the driver who asked for help, not to start something new. For a guy who is having trouble doing a simple burnout, I would NOT recommend trying to pull off a 2nd gear burn first time out. Now you ARE talking parts, syncro's to be specific, big $. My .02$. OK, I'm done with this.

Last edited by SSTAT; 04-22-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:53 PM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by SSTAT
[B

SERIOUSLY [/B]
Im going to try this tomorrow. I haven't done a burnout in my ride yet and i've had it for over a year.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to spin the tires with ls1?