General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How hard is it to spin the tires with ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 08:54 AM

How hard is it to spin the tires with ls1?

I recently purchased a 2001 z28 m6 with 20k miles. It has great power but does not seem to break the wheels loose except on the 1st to 2nd shift when I am running it hard. I am a little new to driving a manual so it suprised me that I am not squaling the tires more. Is this normal?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:00 AM

lift clutch....PUSH gas to floorboard

done!

actually, since i replaced the old tires with decent ones, it is alot harder to really spin them. unless i drop the clutch in 1st, or really power shift it into 2nd....i don't spin!

i remember the crappy tires i had on my lt1 would occasionally chirp 4th gear on a hard shift. i installed the firestone firehawk SZ50s and i never even chirped 3rd after that...they stick like glue (for a street tire)
Old 04-19-2004, 09:12 AM

My '98 has a traction control button or something. If I try to spin the tires, it puts tension on the gas so I can't hammer it. I can actually feel my foot being pushed off the throttle. I don't normally spin my tires too much. I baby that car...lol.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:38 AM

yeah its not all that hard. It brings back memories of a dealer Z28 that I had for a night. he he we had some fun with that car.

-john
Old 04-19-2004, 09:52 AM

I dont have traction control in my car. The car jumps up and goes but does not break the tires loose. I have even reved it to 2k rpms and slowly let the clutch out as in a normal start. The car just jumps and takes off.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:13 AM

slowly letting the clutch out is probably why...

rev it to 3k and just quickly pull the clutch out...trust me...she'll spin
Old 04-19-2004, 10:35 AM

Your tires will have a lot of influence on how easy it is.
It's a lot easier to keep them spinning than to get them to break traction.
LS1, LT1, etc. should have no problem breaking traction, you've just gotta let the clutch grab a little faster than you normally would.
But I normally try not to spin the tires- getting them to not spin while not having the engine bog is a lot harder for me- and a lot more fun when I fly away from the light.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:56 PM

okay, I've got an auto with the 3.23 gear, and I can just stand on the gas from a stop and lay rubber till no tomorrow, I can just take off a little quick and get them to spin with no problem. I've floored it going 15-20 and when it shifted into 1st it spun the tires through 1st and half way into 2nd at 60mph.
And it will always spin the tires a little when it shifts from 1st to 2nd at WOT.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:15 PM

AronZ28, I agree. In 2002 I test drove a brand new Trans Am auto. I stomped on it and got it side ways through an intersection! One of my top 5 test drives ever. My z28 feels faster in every way but I thought it would spin the tires easier then the auto did. I am not going to drop the clutch, I am sure that will work but I dont want to damage anything. I was sure that slipping the clutch at 2k rpms would do it. Again, I am new to a manual and taught myself. It may be something I am doing wrong?
Old 04-19-2004, 03:27 PM

very easy with a stock LS1.

However, I can only spin my tires by holding the brake and mashing the gas, and the only other way would be from a stop around a sharp turn.

Since I have 2.73 gears, LCAs, and Adjustable Torque Arm, its really hard to break them loose. They will squeal a LITTLE bit from a stop since i did my headers, but it hooks up nicely
Old 04-19-2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by falchulk
AronZ28, I agree. In 2002 I test drove a brand new Trans Am auto. I stomped on it and got it side ways through an intersection! One of my top 5 test drives ever. My z28 feels faster in every way but I thought it would spin the tires easier then the auto did. I am not going to drop the clutch, I am sure that will work but I dont want to damage anything. I was sure that slipping the clutch at 2k rpms would do it. Again, I am new to a manual and taught myself. It may be something I am doing wrong?
Slipping the clutch a lot is going to prevent the wheelspin more than anything. You are not engaging the clutch as fast, therefore not transfering the power to the rear as fast. You need to slip the clutch to some degree to start moving, but no need to slip it from 2K to get it moving. After you feel it engage, mash it, it should spin em, providing you don't have too good of tires...
Old 04-19-2004, 03:54 PM

I think he means by slipping the clutch hes giving it gas and tapping the clutch for a split second... I do it as low as 2k rpms in my car, and It breaks em loose. Then again, I have 4.10s
Old 04-19-2004, 03:54 PM

go like ~15-20 mph, leave it in first gear and then just hit the gas pedal as fast as u can. that should do it for you too, and mine was a less powerful stock LT1. Otherwise, as you know you can spin them deffinatly just by revin it and droppin the clutch
Old 04-19-2004, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by AronZ28
okay, I've got an auto with the 3.23 gear, and I can just stand on the gas from a stop and lay rubber till no tomorrow, I can just take off a little quick and get them to spin with no problem. I've floored it going 15-20 and when it shifted into 1st it spun the tires through 1st and half way into 2nd at 60mph.
And it will always spin the tires a little when it shifts from 1st to 2nd at WOT.
What kind of tires do you have?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:44 PM

If my tires are cold - I can spin them with a little bit of a clutch drop and lots of gas.

If I've been driving on the highway for a while - it takes a brutal 4 to 5K sidestep of the clutch to break them loose - even then they only haze for a second and then hook.

Extremly soft rubber and lots of contact patch though - Yokohama AO32R's..........

Comp Drag Radials =

Quick Reply: How hard is it to spin the tires with ls1?