General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

how to get a good start in a4

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:54 PM

how to get a good start in a4

ok..ive lost 2 races now all because of my start...one was about 30 min ago against a 97 z28 m6...yeh he even admited i woulda been right here with him if my start wouldn't of sucked..big time...all he had done to his car is borla catbacks and i have loudmouth catbacks lets just say that highway was Loud rural highway don't worry people..no one was out no danger but to ourselves.

ok but besides that how do i get a good laucnh what im doing now is cramming my gas to teh floor then letting up to get a lil traction then jamming it back down

i mean he smoked me off the line he had a car length on me in the first 15 feet, then when we were at the finish my front end was on his passenger side door

what do i need to do???
Old 04-16-2004, 11:17 PM

well i am right there with ya, all i can really say, is ya need to kind of see how much of a burn out the other person does.. i only do one if i have to.... its hard on my ol girl hahaha. I once had a man tell me that with certin tires once ya see the smoke rollin on the burnout thats when ya count to ten then let off of her.... sticky tires mean hookin up. u have to play with it. track hook up is different then the road you can start out with 3/4 throttle when takin off then dump it . Mine can burn through second before actual hook up. the best i do is if i can get it to launch and get her rollin before it drops all the way down if not she will just go sideways... you will have to find a back road and practice... good luck.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:19 PM

Heres what i do: Smoke the tires(this is if you have regular street tires) about 3-4 seconds, no more. As you line up and whoever says "GO", tap the gas about 1/4 -3/8 the way down. The tires should screech loud then hook, launching you forward real quick, sounds awesome. This is what i do, try it.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:36 PM

i used to start with abou 1/2 throttle and ease into full throttle. Then I got Cooper Radials, a generic local tire manufacturer makes them, z-rated, 172mph limit and good grip.

If its 25+ celcius outside, i just punch it. No brake + gas (i lose all traction that way), that's with Head/cam, and approx 400 flywheel hp

If its a cold day, say 10 degrees celcius, then it requires a lot of easing into the throttle.

In short, road and weather conditions make a difference. U just need to practice
Old 04-17-2004, 12:02 AM

this is just hotrodding around cause any thing to high of power will get the tires spinning but i just ease into the pedal, but even still i will lose complete traction at 2nd shift if im at wot, so with my stock engine i start at about 40% gas then goto about 75 once ive got traction and after 40mph get it all the way.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:41 AM

a main component of traction is tires, drag radial would help you ALOT

jesse
Old 04-17-2004, 12:49 AM

Preload the converter, by holding the brake and applying light throttle. Do this till it just feels about to let lose. When the light turns, let up on he brake only, don't give it any more gas till the car lurches forward. Then ease into it. Atleast, that's what I do.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:42 AM

wdz_lt1 what gears do you have?
Old 04-17-2004, 02:07 AM

if i am at a stop, i burn 'em. I try to get a good roll-on though and that keeps me from breaking until i grab 3rd, and that is just a small "Bark". 3:73's were the best investment i ever made...

Practice different stuff works for everyone as you have seen...
Old 04-17-2004, 03:01 AM

What I don't understand, is why people with street tires, try to smoke'm before they race. Why? It does nothing for the tire, except maybe break lose some debris, (and kill the tire faster) but a quick spin will do that, if you really think you have enough crap in your treads to make a differnce. Street tires are designed to absorb heat, unlike the compound in DR's, that use the heat to get sticky.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:00 AM

what i do in my a4 isput it in 2 nd gear hold the brake down and rev her up and the car rear end moves down and when some says go i floor it graduily and i get low tire spin and alot traction then threw her in drive and then overdrive.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:26 AM

I have an a4 and my tires won't even spin is there something wrong here? It's a completely stock car.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by crazy_jackalope
I have an a4 and my tires won't even spin is there something wrong here? It's a completely stock car.
I am thinking that you don't powerbrake it. Hold the brake down then ease on some gas and bring the rpm up slowly and I guarantee the tires will eventually break loose. Don't get too carried away with it though.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by crazy_jackalope
when my car was bone stock with 2.73's it would not spin at all with crappy tires. it was pretty embarrasing

i dont have that problem anymore

jesse
Old 04-17-2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by ishz28
Preload the converter, by holding the brake and applying light throttle. Do this till it just feels about to let lose. When the light turns, let up on he brake only, don't give it any more gas till the car lurches forward. Then ease into it. Atleast, that's what I do.
I do the same thing on street tires, works like a charm. When I am on the drag radial's then load it to about 2,600 and punch it

Quick Reply: how to get a good start in a4