General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How fast are Highway Patrol LS1's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:30 AM

Re: How fast are Highway Patrol LS1's?

Here in michigan... The township cops have a Iroc..( i dont know what year and they bring it out only on very very nice days )
and they have 2 Ls1 camaro's...They are fast as hell.....they got a racing chip they no one can get...its only made for cops..they got new cam, heads ect...and they HAD a 1974 Corvette with a 502..with a hole butt-load of goody go-fast parts....but that was just mostly for show but from what i herd it could pull down low 11's in the 1/4 mile

Last edited by MotorCityNova572; 03-31-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:38 AM

The thing that makes it the fastest is the 2 way radio. Ever try to outrun one of those?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by MotorCityNova572
and they have 2 Ls1 camaro's...They are fast as hell.....they got a racing chip they no one can get...its only made for cops..they got new cam, heads ect...
I hope that you are kidding....if not you should really learn what you're talking about before posting false information as fact
Old 03-31-2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 87DJP2001
I think the only thing that makes them faster then Stock LS1's and other so called performance cars is the BLUE LIGHTS...
No, police cars are fast because they have "Police" printed all over the sides of the car. Remember, vinyl adds horsepower.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by MotorCityNova572
Here in michigan... The township cops have a Iroc..( i dont know what year and they bring it out only on very very nice days )
and they have 2 Ls1 camaro's...They are fast as hell.....they got a racing chip they no one can get...its only made for cops..they got new cam, heads ect...and they HAD a 1974 Corvette with a 502..with a hole butt-load of goody go-fast parts....but that was just mostly for show but from what i herd it could pull down low 11's in the 1/4 mile
way to give out nonsense info and pass it off as fact.

The Iroc is a car they took from a drug dealer, so was the Vette. They arent used fot street duty, just to show kids that crime doesnt pay.

As far as "racing chips" are concerned, LS1's DONT HAVE CHIPS. Cop LS1's are not anything special, with the exception of a higher amp alternator, bigger trans cooler, and upgraded suspension (all of which could be ordered by anyone).

Last edited by ROADRAGE; 03-31-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:47 AM

not to mention if the "chip" your referring to is their PCM with increased timings....anyone can do that...its just software.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:24 AM

Some PD's did do a heads/cam swap on the traffic enforcement cruisers. Not the standard secter car. The reason being that a cammed traffic enforcement cruiser is gunna be able to get up to speed faster etc. While the standard secter car idles for about 2hrs a day and drives at a constant speed of 35-40 miles per hour. So obviously no need for a cam.

I dont blame some PD's for wanting to cam the CV since its a boad and has a whoppin 250hp now, back in 98 they came with 210 hp.
Then you have the 9c1 impy which is a dog
The magnum which is a dog since the only police package is a 200hp v6.
No interceptors out there are worthy of the name interceptor which is good for us bad for them
Old 03-31-2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by LT-14me
Some PD's did do a heads/cam swap on the traffic enforcement cruisers. Not the standard secter car. The reason being that a cammed traffic enforcement cruiser is gunna be able to get up to speed faster etc. While the standard secter car idles for about 2hrs a day and drives at a constant speed of 35-40 miles per hour. So obviously no need for a cam.

I dont blame some PD's for wanting to cam the CV since its a boad and has a whoppin 250hp now, back in 98 they came with 210 hp.
Then you have the 9c1 impy which is a dog
The magnum which is a dog since the only police package is a 200hp v6.
No interceptors out there are worthy of the name interceptor which is good for us bad for them
you find me one car that did a heads/cam swap on a regularly used car thats not for DARE or for car shows, until then
Old 03-31-2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
you find me one car that did a heads/cam swap on a regularly used car thats not for DARE or for car shows, until then

LOL I was just about to mention the dare cars...

I have 2 friends with ex-police cruisers.

One has a 97 crown-vic, the other has an 01 ls1 camaro.

I happened to see the crown vic running consistent 16's this past tuesday, and my friend's LS1 interceptor is good for nothing better than stock times.
One thing that DOES confuse me is that his LS1 ex-cop car seems to have a 5 speed auto. People have called BS on this before but I've seen it 1, 2, 3, D, D2. I've ridden it it, You can feel it shift out of OD at around 80... he runs like 1300 RPMs at 85mph.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
I'd be pretty skeptical of that as well. After all, it would make the car "illegal". Not to say that the po-po are any better at obeying the law than we are, but this one I doubt.

Rich
Old 03-31-2005, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by rskrause
I'd be pretty skeptical of that as well. After all, it would make the car "illegal". Not to say that the po-po are any better at obeying the law than we are, but this one I doubt.

Rich
yeah...I'm fairly friendly with a lot of cops around my area. All of the regular use cars are maintained by their fleet manager to GM/Ford specs and that is it.

They also have a lot of really nice DARE cars, a Typhoon, 1930something Merc, 5.0 Stang etc. Those car's aren't allowed to be touched by their normal mechanics due to insurance regulations. They're actually not even allowed to be owned by the state due to potential liability so individual officers own them, and the work is donated by local speed shop who in return get their name plastered on the side of them
Old 03-31-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Z28WannaB
Now if it were a 10 second street rod versus a regular police cruiser you could probably get away.
Keep in mind though, a ~10 second car is probably geared to do 10's, and therefore may run out of top speed earlier than a "normal" car would. I'd try and out-run them with 2.73's in the car before I'd try it with 4.10's anyday ... it's easier to accelerate beyond ~100 mph in 3rd gear than it is in 4th (with the auto) .
Old 03-31-2005, 11:41 AM

then it's all about how you run from the cops
if you have that quick of a car that can handle, you're gonna want to make those cop cars chase you in the corners (so it works to your advantage)
and then, if you have a vette, you can try running on the highway (anyone remember that one that showed him doing 165+ in a c4 and was almost getting way from the cops and chopper and then crashed and somehow flew out before the car was completely destroyed?)
Old 03-31-2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
LOL I was just about to mention the dare cars...

I have 2 friends with ex-police cruisers.

One has a 97 crown-vic, the other has an 01 ls1 camaro.

I happened to see the crown vic running consistent 16's this past tuesday, and my friend's LS1 interceptor is good for nothing better than stock times.
One thing that DOES confuse me is that his LS1 ex-cop car seems to have a 5 speed auto. People have called BS on this before but I've seen it 1, 2, 3, D, D2. I've ridden it it, You can feel it shift out of OD at around 80... he runs like 1300 RPMs at 85mph.
its BS...theres no 5 speed auto. P R N OD D 2 1 The "5th gear" that you feel is the torque converter locking up
Old 03-31-2005, 01:30 PM

If I'm not mistaken doesn't the police package also include slightly bigger injectors?

Quick Reply: How fast are Highway Patrol LS1's?