Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 F-Body Technical Discussion > General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory TSBs

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #1

How do I remove rear garment hooks?

I am trying to remove the trim panel in the back which has the garment hook on it. I have popped the little plug on the hook, but it only comes out a little. I thought this would pop out and there would be a screw behind it, but I cant get the plug out. I didnt want to break anything so I thought I would ask here.

thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
'92 Kawasaki ZX-6 600
magnumv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #2

Re: How do I remove rear garment hooks?

You just have to keep gently trying to either get that plug out (I think they come out completely on our cars) or it will flip down out of the way. Then you can get to the screw that holds the hanger on.

on second thought if I remember correctly that "plug" is the type of fastener that is what holds the hanger on. just kinda work it out gently. Try a squirt of mild dishwashing detergent in there or somethign to lubricate it a little ...perhaps.

Last edited by BadCo.; 03-05-2005 at 12:34 PM.
BadCo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #3

it pops out about 1/8 inch very easily, but then doesnt want to move. I tried both sides, and have pried with a screw driver, but they dont seem to want to move. I will try lubricating it and see if that helps.

the reason for this is that I am trying to access the shock mounting bolt. This is the panel that has to come off right??
'92 Kawasaki ZX-6 600
magnumv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #4

Im pretty sure they wont come out easy because the plastic piece your trying to remove has ridges of sorts, I dont know the name of the type fastener it is (sort of like a zip tie in a way as they go in easy yet dont want to come out or go the other way) your going to have to apply a little more force...and use a rocking motion along with a lubricant should help...try a pair of pliers using a scrap of t shirt where the pliers grip or something so you dont mar the plastic piece

BadCo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #5

If you do break it the gm part number is #10159119 and it costs about $5.68 from a dealer.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Mean Green Z28

Just pull the center tab out as far as it comes and then pull the whole hook and it would come right off. There's no screws in there. Just the hook with a split back end and the plug to make it stick in the hole, just like regular trim clips on imports.
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:40 PM

Reply Post New Thread