General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

can I bypass my radiator for tranny cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 01:17 PM

can I bypass my radiator for tranny cooling?

I recently installed a large tranny cooler, I put it right in front of the condenser, so it gets plenty of air, and will get air pulled through it if the radiator fans turn on. While I was installing it, I used those zip tab things that you push through the radiator and everything and there is a locking piece on the other end. Now my car is leaking ATF from right underneath the radiator, and I can also smell it burning while the car runs. I double checked the connections I made and the hoses, none of them are leaking, so I think I must have damaged the radiator while poking the zip tie things through it.

I bought the high performance cooler from autozone, it's the biggest one they sell, 15 7/8" long by 7 1/2 inches high by 3/4" thick, and the core is 12 1/8". I need to know if I can just bypass the radiator and use only the cooler for the transmission cooler, or if it will raise my temperatures too high and damage something. Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
James
Old 08-18-2005, 01:32 PM

Re: can I bypass my radiator for tranny cooling?

You really need to figure out where exactly you're leaking the tranny fluid from... I don't think it's the radiator as I believe the cooler lines run through the core... I think you would lose coolant if you damaged the radiator , but for tranny fluid to leak, you would also be leaking coolant...

I think it's more likely that one of your lines or connections near the radiator is leaking...

That all being said, you could bypass the radiator, but it isn't optimal.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:46 PM

As said above, you can bypass the radiator, but I too doubt that its the tranny fluid coming from the radiator, has to be a hose.

Another thing, do not use those zip tie things that poke thru the radiator...the little plastic part that goes thru the fines will act like a tiny saw blade as it vibrates loose and will eventually wear a hole thru the radiator tubes causing a coolant leak....been there done that. Fabricate a way way to mount it in the 'X' bracing in front of the radiator.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:28 PM

Hey guys thanks for the quick responses, I fixed it at lunch today in my store's parking lot. I work in an autozone so I pulled all the tools I needed and it took about 20 minutes out and in the door with the tools put away. You were right it was the lower connection on the cooler, so I tightened it and moved the hose clamp a bit and it seems ok now.