General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Help!!! Solder in my cylinder!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:24 AM

Help!!! Solder in my cylinder!

I have a 74 camaro with a 350. I am taking everything off the motor, cleaning it, etc. I got the heads back on, intake, exhaust, and was trying to find TDC on cylinder 1 to get the distributor lined up correctly. I used solder to try and feel exactly where it was, in spark plug 1. I went a little too far and the piece of solder broke off. Now it is stuck on there. Do I need to take the heads completely off and get brand new gaskets and everything again? I just put them back on a few days ago.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:18 AM

Re: Help!!! Solder in my cylinder!

Originally Posted by Displacement up
I have a 74 camaro with a 350. I am taking everything off the motor, cleaning it, etc. I got the heads back on, intake, exhaust, and was trying to find TDC on cylinder 1 to get the distributor lined up correctly. I used solder to try and feel exactly where it was, in spark plug 1. I went a little too far and the piece of solder broke off. Now it is stuck on there. Do I need to take the heads completely off and get brand new gaskets and everything again? I just put them back on a few days ago.
Man I feel ur pain. Must be aggravating. I would definitely remove the head and get the solder out of that cylinder. It could damage the piston rings / scar the cylinder on startup. One of the valves may have bit down on the solder so check them as well. New gaskets is nothin compared to fixin a scarred cylinder. Just make sure u get all the solder out. Solder is soft but i wouldnt risk it. Next time use something solid like a 4 way screwdriver to find tdc. Hope all goes well. Im currently reviving a 81 z28.