General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Help Power Steering Cap pops off

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 12:21 AM

Help Power Steering Cap pops off

I was racing at motorsport ranch in Cresson, Tx this weekend and my power steering cap popped off and fluid went everywhere, burning out the ps pump.

I replaced the pump, refilled the ps fluid and the system is still very foamy and when I go through the bleed procedure the foam never seems to reduce itself. (60+ full turns of the wheel)Also after starting the engine, the system pressurizes and taking the cap off is like taking off the radiator cap. There is a whole lot of pressure in there (makes a pop sound when I remove the cap), and I see lots of rushing fluid movement in the reservoir. I checked out our grand prix, and when started there is no movement of fluid that is apparent to the naked eye. (Grand Prix works fine)

Another question is, when I took the reservoir off of the pump I noticed that the place where the top part of the pump and the reservoir connect that there seems to be a plastic covering on the reservoir not a completely open hole? Is this normal? when I put fluid in the reservoir upside down in that whole it was slowly abosorbed into the reservoir.

Please help...
Old 04-22-2004, 08:12 PM

Im pretty sure that the cap on the power steering is vented.. I'm not sure if its possible that it can get clogged and build up pressure when the fluid heats up, but i can see how anything vented could potentially get clogged?
As for the foaming, that could mean there is a leak in one of the fittings/lines and its sucking in air, causing the fluid to bubble up like that. This might have been caused by the buildup of pressure if the cap wasn't venting properly. Hopefully this post made some sense to someone? just some idea's to check out