General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Help with my build?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 11:44 PM

Help with my build?

Bought this black/black 1996 Camaro Z28 from my dad as my first project. I could use all help and advice as you can give me! Some background: 119k miles.. original LT1 motor has a spun bearing.. T56 6-speed is perfectly fine.. factory 10-bolt rearend is good!

I hunted down a 4.8 LR4 LS engine out of this white 2003 silverado at the local junkard. My goal is to perform an LS Swap and put this motor into my camaro. I would love to know anything about what upgrades you guys think I should do to the engine especially, as well as suspension upgrades and anything asthetic too. I want to make 350-400 ish horsepower and quite a bit of torque too. In the end, I want to have done most of the work myself. I'm open to upgrades and any diy projects or work. Really anxious and hoping you guys can get me going in a good direction as this is my first project. I'm mechanically inclined and very determined!!! I promise to post lots of pictures and give progress updates just need a little help to get things done Thanks in advance

-Dax
Attached Thumbnails Help with my build?-img_2340.jpg   Help with my build?-img_2200.jpg   Help with my build?-img_0923.jpg   Help with my build?-img_1033.jpg   Help with my build?-img_1237.jpg  

Help with my build?-img_2339.jpg   Help with my build?-img_2335.jpg   Help with my build?-img_2344.jpg  
Old 10-22-2015, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Re: Help with my build?

Welome to CamaroZ28.com ! ! !

Interesting project. While the LS engines will fit in the 4th Gens, since many of them had the LS1, there are some significant differences between the components that interface with the engine. The LT1 engine uses a different T56 trans and clutch than the LSx series of engines, for example. The LSx engines typically run a 58psi dead-end fuel system, with the pressure regulator back at the tank, while the LT1 uses a 43.5psi recirculated fuel system. A K-member from a 98-02 4th Gen will accommodate the LSx seeries of engines, and the springs may be more suitable for an aluminum engine. I think all the truck used an electronically actuated throttle body, requiring a different accel pedal with a position sensor built-in.

Since you will require the PCM and engine harness for the LR4, you may have some interface problems with the 96's body connectors. It may be possible to get some help in the interface, as several people have opted for the EFIConnection 24X conversion on their LT1's, utilizing the LS PCM. So the interfaces have to have been addressed.

Biggest problem here is that we seem to have 90% LT1 owners. For some reason, the LSx experts seem few and far between. So you may need additional help with the LR4 performance mods. There is a lot available in the 'net, for example:

4.8L VS 5.3L Engine - Tech - Little LS Slugfest - Super Chevy Magazine
Old 10-22-2015, 09:37 PM

Re: Help with my build?

Thanks! I'm sure I'll spend plenty of my time on here lol. I couldn't find what looked like a good kit for swapping my t56 so I think I will end up selling it. The truck I pulled my engine from did have a drive by wire throttle body and I ended up snatching the throttle pedal as well. I also did a vin decode and checked with a local dealership and found out that the truck was an '03 with 125,000 miles on it, so that means aluminum block for sure. Is it the easiest to just buy a 98-02 K member then? That should bolt up to my 96 correct? Then I wouldn't need to fab motor mounts. I'll have to look into wiring that will probably be my biggest nightmare. Would it be easier to switch to a carburetor? I wasn't able to get the PCM but whoever took it was nice and unplugged it instead of cutting the wires. Where can I get a new PCM? I'll definitely have to ask some more questions and definitely check out your site Thanks for your help though much appreciated!