General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

help me identify these plugs in the engine harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 PM

help me identify these plugs in the engine harness

these two are on the passenger side down by the knock sensor and 02 sensor. there is two of the square ones on the right - this one on the passenger side and another on the drivers side by the transmission.

I labeled everything, but I still can't figure out where these go

Last edited by blackbirdta; 12-13-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 PM

I don't see anything but a red X.

There is a 1995 engine harness pic on my Tech Page.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:30 PM

these two are in front of the passenger side head.

i couldn't seem to post both of these pictures in the same post..one or the other would keep showing the red x

Last edited by blackbirdta; 12-13-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:47 PM

ok i don't understand...they show in the post until I refresh then the red x's come up. The links below should work..

http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...79415268amorpN

http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...79415268lPQiRP

shoebox- your site helped for a few that I was looking for before, but I hadn't found your harness diagram there. the two by the head appear to be the alternator and ac compressor. ac is gone so i can cut that out. dumb question...how does the alternator plug go to the alternator?? any ideas on the other two?

Last edited by blackbirdta; 12-13-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:39 PM

How about telling people what the harness is out of?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Now when I click my links, they won't load. "Website declined to show this webpage".

Might want to find a new site for these things.
Yeah, but his now work, LOL!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:58 AM

yea this whole picture thing is really getting me annoyed. Fred, your links didn't show for me last night and mine did. then i logged out of this site and couldn't log back in! i would log in, it would say thank you for logging in then it would continue on with me not logged in...so i couldn't post again

anyway, are any of the links working this morning? (my links work for me) I will have to try another site...i already had webshots and it has worked in the past. the engine and harness are from a '97 m6. the two plugs by the head appear to be for the alternator and ac compressor based on your diagram shoebox. the a/c is gone, but where does this alternator plug go? the other two I am still clueless. Thanks

Last edited by blackbirdta; 12-14-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:34 PM

There is only one harness connector that goes to the back of the alternator and that should be the one. Perhaps a broader picture of the other ones (where you can see where they come out of the harness) would help.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:08 AM

hmm ok I didn't think there were any harness connections to the alternator and didn't think to check the alternator that should be simple.

I really have no idea where the other ones would have come out of the harness in the car. This harness is going in my 35 Ford so any memory of where connections were in a stock camaro went out the window 4 or 5 years ago when i took the harness out . I can tell you these two connections branch off with the o2 sensor, knock sensor, starter and ground to block. so clearly it is not pictured in your 1995 harness picture, shoebox. I am assuming maybe these specific to the later year LT1's? The longer square one looked pretty distinctive to me...I thought someone may just recognize it. the other is real oily and greesy more so than others so it must go somewhere low where it could collect that grime? Is there any harness connections to the oil cooler perhaps? i'm at a loss...
Old 12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Administrator

The 96/97's have after-cat O2 sensors that the 93-95 cars don't have. The plug for the after-cat sensors is square. Sounds like that would account for two of the connectors.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:21 AM

WOW Thanks Fred! I didn't even think of the second two o2 sensors because they were edited out of the PCM (and thus edited out of my head ) and the different shape through me off even more. That also explains why it wasn't shown in Shoebox's '95 picture. I believe I am down to one left to identify. The purple one in the pic below (pictured along with the newly identified o2)

http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...79415268lPQiRP

Thank you both!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Administrator

If its on the passenger side, it may be for the EVAP system vacuum detection switch. That's another part that only the 96/97 OBD-II cars have. See part 16 in this diagram from Shoebox's site:

http://shbox.com/1/1996_evap.jpg
Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 AM

that could be it, but I thought I already accounted for those two EVAP connections (16 and 6) because I still have those components laying around. I will have to double check though because 16 appears to be comming up from below which is exactly where this connection in question is. I can't find a picture of 16 on shoebox's site (the only EVAP picture I see cuts off 16). so I can't tell for sure, but I will double check.

It figures that everything I can't account for is removed from the engine and no longer needed causing me unnesessary headaches

you two are much appreciated...thank you!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by blackbirdta
that could be it, but I thought I already accounted for those two EVAP connections (16 and 6) because I still have those components laying around. I will have to double check though because 16 appears to be comming up from below which is exactly where this connection in question is. I can't find a picture of 16 on shoebox's site (the only EVAP picture I see cuts off 16). so I can't tell for sure, but I will double check.

It figures that everything I can't account for is removed from the engine and no longer needed causing me unnesessary headaches

you two are much appreciated...thank you!
95s don't have 16. That is why there is no pic of it from my car on the site. How many wires/cavities in that connector and what colors? I tried to get you to post a picture of more of the harness (like the one on my site), to make it easier to "guess" what it is. It would be easier to tell by where it breaks out of the harness.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:36 PM

o right you don't have 16, I wasn't thinking at the time. the car is at my parents so i haven't been able to get a picture of more of the harness, but i am going to swing by there tonight and either confirm that it is 16 (by pluging into the EVAP) or take another picture, check the wires and go from there. Thanks!

Quick Reply: help me identify these plugs in the engine harness