General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Help! Car just shutoff on me

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:32 PM

Help! Car just shutoff on me

Was coming back from a nice little night drive. Turn onto my block and flipped the brights off. Cruising at 15 miles an hour.t hen I noticed it got really quiet. The car just shutoff.

I tried to start it again. Didnt want to start up. It sounded like it was turning over but just wouldnt catch. Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2016, 11:13 PM

Re: Help! Car just shutoff on me

Have you tried starting the car today?I had a msd coil wire slip off my old bird that did that.I would start with a fuel pressure check first.Any codes?You can download GaryDougs scan tool for free as long as you have a cable.Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
Have you tried starting the car today?I had a msd coil wire slip off my old bird that did that.I would start with a fuel pressure check first.Any codes?You can download GaryDougs scan tool for free as long as you have a cable.Hope this helps.
So as soon as i woke up this morning, I went to start the car. Guess what, it started up right away! Now what do I do? Id be very afraid to drive it now. What if it happens again? Just some fluke thing?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Scan if for codes. Whatever shut the engine down (e.g. - Opti cam position sensor module, ICM) may have set a code. That code will be stored in the PCM, as long as you didn't disconnect battery. Both those system are subject to failure due to heat soak.... component overheats, engine shuts down. Component cools off, engine will start.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/
Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 AM

I decided to let the car run for a bit before driving it. After 20 minutes of idling smoothly, it just shuts off and says check gauges Time for a new fuel pump?

Looks like I will need a tow.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by lovescannez28
I decided to let the car run for a bit before driving it. After 20 minutes of idling smoothly, it just shuts off and says check gauges Time for a new fuel pump?

Looks like I will need a tow.
The check gauges always comes on when the car stalls,Idk why your not listening to injuneer/Fred about what he said to do????? Why are u assuming or just gonna throw a new fuel pump if u haven't checked out the fuel pressure first?

Getting it scanned will tell u what code is in store when the car turned off on u....I've heard of camaros doing the same exact thing n it can be a number of things.

So please If u ask for help about an issue please listen to these guys on here n take there advice n help. They have done so much for me
Old 08-19-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 94Z28LS1toLT1
The check gauges always comes on when the car stalls,Idk why your not listening to injuneer/Fred about what he said to do????? Why are u assuming or just gonna throw a new fuel pump if u haven't checked out the fuel pressure first?

Getting it scanned will tell u what code is in store when the car turned off on u....I've heard of camaros doing the same exact thing n it can be a number of things.

So please If u ask for help about an issue please listen to these guys on here n take there advice n help. They have done so much for me
Sorry, just not sure how to scan it. I dont have a cable to hook up for the scanning app. Where can I purchase such a cable?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:05 AM

Nevermind, i found the link for the cable. thanx
Old 08-20-2016, 12:21 AM

I gotta know,was the car sitting in traffic for some time when this happened?(shut down)?---I see in Brooklyn N.Y. that the temp outside has been in the high 80's.(you are lucky as we here in Ca. are getting bar b qued).100 is the norm right now here. Or was the temp gauge high?When the icm gets hot sometimes it will shut down the system.It needs tons of heat sink paste behind it.It's to the right of the coil.I went ahead and did the icm mod from shoebox's site and spaced it out away from heat.And went crazy with the white paste.Anyway,it's better to check for codes and I bought my cable from a place in Redondo Beach Ca. for $80.00 but some members make their own but I can't do welding this wire to that wire ect.It's a slam dunk with the new cable.My problem was getting windows 10 to run scan 94-95 so I
got a windows 7 dedicated laptop just for my scan tool and it works for me just fine.Once you get hooked up to the car (engine cold) just turn the key on and don't start the car for a minute or so then start the car and drive normally for a while till the car gets warmed up to operating temp. then blast it a couple of times, then remember to shut the scan off after about 15 minutes or so.Then post the results here and Injuneer and GaryDoug can analyze the results.Sorry for the long post.Hope this helps.(I think the 12 pin cable is the one you need but make sure within this site under computer diagnostics and tuning).My02.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
I gotta know,was the car sitting in traffic for some time when this happened?(shut down)?---I see in Brooklyn N.Y. that the temp outside has been in the high 80's.(you are lucky as we here in Ca. are getting bar b qued).100 is the norm right now here. Or was the temp gauge high?When the icm gets hot sometimes it will shut down the system.It needs tons of heat sink paste behind it.It's to the right of the coil.I went ahead and did the icm mod from shoebox's site and spaced it out away from heat.And went crazy with the white paste.Anyway,it's better to check for codes and I bought my cable from a place in Redondo Beach Ca. for $80.00 but some members make their own but I can't do welding this wire to that wire ect.It's a slam dunk with the new cable.My problem was getting windows 10 to run scan 94-95 so I
got a windows 7 dedicated laptop just for my scan tool and it works for me just fine.Once you get hooked up to the car (engine cold) just turn the key on and don't start the car for a minute or so then start the car and drive normally for a while till the car gets warmed up to operating temp. then blast it a couple of times, then remember to shut the scan off after about 15 minutes or so.Then post the results here and Injuneer and GaryDoug can analyze the results.Sorry for the long post.Hope this helps.(I think the 12 pin cable is the one you need but make sure within this site under computer diagnostics and tuning).My02.
I was on a road trip upstate. Temp was about 75 at the time.

Had my buddy come by to take a look. He said the car isnt getting any spark. Coil is all corroded. Hopefully will replace that shortly and that will do the trick. Will keep you all posted. thanx for the input.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Ended up changing the optispark. All is well. Thanx