General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:11 PM

Help!!

I have a 95 z28 that will randomly shut itself off. Sometimes it will run for weeks just fine and sometimes it will shut off 3 times in five minutes. When it dies it's just like someone shut the key off. Most of the time it will start right back up but there has been a few times going down the road that it would just crank until I came to a stop and then it would fire back up. There has also been a few times that it would die going do the road and I would throw it into neutral and the motor would fire back up. Starter wouldn't crank, the motor would just fire back up on its own. I've read a lot of threads of similar problems and everyone always suggest coil getting heat soaked so I'll save people the time and tell you that is not the issue, it is not temperature related. I have also put a new opti in it about 6 months ago. Only things I could possible think of would be ignition switch, opti, bad pcm, or bad ground.. I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone else has had an issue like this or has any other insight on what the issue could be. Thanks
Old 02-21-2016, 06:34 PM

Re: Help!!

Go to the Computer and Diagnostics Forum at this website. Click on Scan9495. It is a free scanning software that Gary Doug has provided to troubleshoot issues related to 94 and 95 Z28's. Read thur those threads to see what you will need to do to make it work for your 95.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:53 PM

I will check that out thanks! I should of mentioned that I did have access to a scan tool that would work with my 95 and even ran live feed for a week and everything was working perfectly. When the car would die everything would behave the same way as if I were to shut the key off. Power was just gone to everything except for headlights, radio, etc. and after about 10 seconds it would ding like when you turn the key to on and the dash would come back to life again.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Check the ignition switch. They are getting old. Seems like over the past couple years there have been increased problems, including melted terminals. Losing power intermittent to/from the switch would explain shutting off, and the appearance that the switch had just been turned to "run" when it restarts.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the response Injuneer! I'm going to try and dig into it this weekend. I will post back with what I find.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Some info in the first paragraph of this that might be helpful:

Courtesy of Shoebox

4th Gen F-body Ignition Switch Replacement
Old 02-27-2016, 05:16 PM

Pulled the ignition switch out today and found the connector was burnt so I swapped the pigtail out from an old harness I had laying around and put in a new switch and so far so good! Now, I starting messing with my drivers window as I've had a problem where it will not roll down but always rolls up just fine. I pulled the plug off the motor and it has power to the motor when I push the switch to roll it up and to roll it down so I went and got a new motor. I plugged the motor in to test it before I put it in and same story. Will roll up but still won't roll down. I'm stumped.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Could be the switch. When you press "down" does the motor make any noise, like it's trying to move the window?

Last edited by Injuneer; 02-27-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:31 PM

I can hear a very very faint noise every now and then but not everytime. According to my voltmeter it's getting full power to the motor when I push the switch though. I think I'm going to get a switch anyway and try it out.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry93
I can hear a very very faint noise every now and then but not everytime. According to my voltmeter it's getting full power to the motor when I push the switch though. I think I'm going to get a switch anyway and try it out.
I remembered like 5 yrs ago I had the same exact problem what u described about the window,but motor,switch,etc were fine took to a place and found out my rivets were preventing my window from going down,like I had to move the window while pressing the switch to down n the window would go down, n when i pressed the up on the switch up worked perfectly