General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

heater hose leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 03:28 PM

Unhappy heater hose leak

Well, I just finished changing the rad on my other car and now the Z28 just blew a hose last night. Well, it's a pin hole leak on the lower heater hose from the WP that goes to the heater core/firewall.

The oin hole is 1 inch left of the clamp, so it's not the clamp that chewed away at the hose. We've had record breaking temps here all week so I'm not surprised.

My questions are:

Should I replace the whole hose assembly that go to the firewall. (2 hoses come clamped together for around $140)? Or would you cut the hose, shortening it by 1 inch and hope for the best?

There's a valve right after the elbow, not sure what it's for, it's not like the top hose. Could I just change the hose up to that valve? I'm not sure if I can service that or if I need a special tool to crimp it back together.

The car being a 95, should I just change the whole thing for $140 or is there some life left in these hoses?

I've also never done anything cooling system wise with that car, is it hard to get the air out of the system?

Thanks for your help
Martin
Old 06-30-2005, 08:07 AM

Re: heater hose leak

From my past experiences with heater & radiator hoses, I'd say replace the hoses simply because once they start doing what yours has done, usually the hoses are breaking down. It would be ashame not to spend the $140 bucks only to find yourself on the side of the road with a hose that bursts again, not to mention the inconvenience & embarassment. I'd also check the radiator hoses. I gotta admit, $140 is a lot for some hoses!!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:33 AM

I basically had the same problem as you. Wanted to drive my car, no shops had the hoses in. Would have had to wait a few days, and then be charged a ton for some stupid hose.

So I said screw it, the cars a summer car only. I disconnected both hoses from the Water Pump, and made a little U. Water goes out the pump, then right back in.

It was free, and got my car running right away.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm picking up those expensive hoses today and will probably want to replace all of them anyways. Once that stuff starts to go, you know the other ones are not far behind.