General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Heater Core Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 PM

Cool Heater Core Leaking

Hey Everyone!

I have a 95Z28, and I turned on the Heater the other day (I'm in Canada, and ya it was chilly!) and it smelled like my heater core is going. The smell only happened when the heater was on. Smelled like Maple syurp or Almonds or something. So I"m pretty sure my core sprung a leak.

So I have a few questions, is it a big job? Do you need special tools to get too, and pull the core? What are these tools if you do? Does the whole dash need to come off/apart? Can one person easily do it? I heard a fair price for a heater core is about $350.00.

I have Mechanical experience with this car, including putting in a brand new (rebuilt) T-56 this spring and putting new head gaskets on a few years ago.

Hope to get some advice...

Thanks!

G
Old 09-18-2011, 09:20 PM

Re: Heater Core Leaking

Search in the general tech forum. It's been covered in there.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Let's move the thread to "General 67-02 F-Body Tech", since this isn't an "engine" problem.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Mirage95,

First and foremost, $350 is on the steep side of '95 Camaro heater core prices. For instance, the M.S.R.P. for the OEM heater core is $250.44, but several websites sell the same part for a cheaper price. If I remember correctly, gmpartsgiant sells it for $145.

I realize that you live in Canada so Camaros may be a rarer beast up there, but I still maintain that you can find a replacement heater core for a cheaper price than that. Have you priced the part on Chevy parts sites that will ship to Canada?

As for the heater core replacement job itself, it's a pretty intensive job to perform. Here's a concise write-up on the job:

1) Drain the engine coolant into a suitable container.

2) Open the instrument panel glove compartment. Push in on the sides of the compartment to release it, allowing access to the heater core.

Warning! The heater core can be damaged if too much force is applied to the heater core pipes during hose removal. Ask me how I know..

3) Remove the heater module screws and remove the heater module assembly cover. For vehicles equipped with A/C, remove the air conditioning evaporator temperature sensor assembly from the heater and A/C cover.

4) Remove the heater core screw and clamp.

5) Remove the hose pipe clamp screw and the hose pipe clamp. Clamp off the heater hoses.

6) Disconnect the heater hoses from the pipes.

7) Remove the heater core by carefully pulling it towards you.

8) Install the heater core and attach the heater hose assembly to the heater hose pipes. Note the following:
a) Lubricate the heater core pipes with petroleum jelly for ease of installation and to assure a good seal.
b) Be sure the seals around the heater pipes remain in place when installing.
c) To verify that the seal is installed correctly, observe the seal from inside the engine compartment. If the seal has leaks, apply a sealer between the heater core pipes and the evaporator housing.

9) Install the hose pipe clamp and the bolt/screw. Unclamp the heater hoses.

10) Tighten the hose pipe clamp bolt/screw to 16 inch lbs. (1.8 Nm).

11) Install the heater core clamp and screw. Tighten the screw to 16 inch lbs. (1.8 Nm).

12) Install the heater module assembly cover and secure with the retaining screws. Tighten the screws to 18 inch lbs. (2 Nm).

13) Connect the negative battery cable.

14) Refill the cooling system. Operate the engine and check for leaks, add coolant if necessary.

15) Install the instrument panel glove compartment.

As you can probably tell from the write-up, you'll have to devote a good 5+ hours to sufficiently accomplish this mechanical pursuit. If you're up for the task, then by all means go for it!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:09 PM

5 hrs? People have been in here saying it was a pretty easy job.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 PM

Hank'sZ28,

Uh, one question... when removing the hoses you can damage the heater core...

Does it matter when REMOVING the hoses, aren't we replacing the heater core anyway?

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm now replacing mine and I am about to squeeze the ends off the heater core so I have more room to take the heater hoses off. There is no way I can get my arm in there with a tool (I have the 'real' pick looking thing for loosening up heater hoses) to get the damn hoses off.

I was going to cut them, and go get heater hose at the parts store.... I'm REAL glad I stopped to cuss at it for a while, because it gave me time to notice they are not 'real' heater hoses.... they are aluminum tubes with formed and pressed rubber hoses on the 'ends'.

Whatever happened to just plain rubber hoses all the way through....
Old 10-05-2012, 10:30 PM

when I removed my heater core (3 weeks ago) I was gentle with it. I hooked it up to the hose and it looked like a dead cat came out of it. it is now usable so I can swap it out if my $40 ebay one clogs! which is hasn't yet and is surprisingly comparable in quality to the OEM core...

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 PM

but yes technically you could cut up and mangle the old one.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 PM

Well, in my case cleaning won't fix it... it is leaking coolant all over the place, so I don't care if it breaks. Tomorrow morning bright and early I will get it off. Kragen/O'Relly has replacements for $70.

Being a through sort I really, REALLY wanted to replace the heater hoses and belts too (car has 145k miles and I just think it is a good idea) but they seem to be not available... possibly the dealer has them still. I suppose if I bang one up I can take one off my project Camaro.

Now... how to get antifreeze out of the carpet....
Old 10-06-2012, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
5 hrs? People have been in here saying it was a pretty easy job.
Yea, 5 hours is the max it should take. I did mine today in about 3hrs, but I have not refilled the radiator yet. (gets dark early in the fall/winter)