General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Headlights went out

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:11 AM

Headlights went out

So, I just got my AC compressor bypass pulley installed (went to leave for Orlando and car wouldn't turn over). I got ready to leave tonight, got in the car, turned it on and put my seatbelt on. Then I turned the headlights on, put it in reverse and started reversing. I looked ahead of me and both of my headlights were out.

I spent around 20 mins or so checking all of my fuses even though I was unable to find a fuse with anything close to headlamp on it. I checked the battery connection and the fusible link connections, all were nice and tight. I came in only to find that my fuse checking was in vain because the headlamps are connected directly through the fusible link.

Has this happened to anyone else? Both headlamps going out at the same time, and not coming back on?

On the schematic it looks as though there is more than 1 ground wire for the headlights making it hard for me to believe it is a bad ground. All I can think to do is to find a DMM and start tracing the wires. Any other suggestions?

I am getting really frustrated with this car. I have missed an entire week of work because of the damn thing!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by scr0tum

Has this happened to anyone else? Both headlamps going out at the same time, ?

Yes, I have heard of it. Verify power with a meter at the sockets.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:18 PM

I used a DMM to go through and check all the wiring, only to find out that the bulbs actually went out.

How common do you think it is that 2 low beam headlights will fail at exactly the same time?

I think I am going to save the old bulbs and try to do the HID conversion on them.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by scr0tum
I used a DMM to go through and check all the wiring, only to find out that the bulbs actually went out.

How common do you think it is that 2 low beam headlights will fail at exactly the same time?

I don't know how common, but I have seen it posted several times. I might guess that when one goes out a voltage spike might occur causing the other (if old) filament to blow?