General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Headlights Turn Off After 15 Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:27 AM

Question Headlights Turn Off After 15 Minutes

Folks, anyone seen this problem? I'll drive with the headlights on and after 15-20 minutes, then the headlights will turn off. After parking and letting them cool...then they'll work again. Hi-beams won't work either...I guess they're on the same circuit. So here's the facts of what I see, and maybe someone can help:

1. Parking lights/signal lights are still fully functional when this happens.
2. Fog lights will work...thank goodness, or I'd be around a tree right now.
3. Not related to engine temp...meaning, during the day after driving to work...40 minutes, I turn the headlights on, they work. It has to do with the headlights circuit heating up.
4. Don't think it's the switch, because after car cools down, everything works again.

Now, I'm not an electrical person, but I do hear that high temp can increase resistance, which may be shutting off the lights. Maybe some part of the headlight circuit it touching the engine or something?

Oh, one more bit of info...several months ago, the fans wouldn't turn on...went to dealership and replaced the control board and he said he "upgraded" to a beefier gauge cable for something..forgot...said this cable failed often on the LT1s, so he just upgraded for me. Never thought about it, because I rarely drive this car at night, so haven't used the headlights much. Want to talk to you folks, before going back to the dealership.

I can live with driving with fog lights for a while, but like to fix this thing eventually.

Any suggestions?