General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Headers and O2 Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Headers and O2 Sensors

just a general question here,

when you cancel the stock exhaust and install headers, what do you usually do to solve the H2 sensors issue? do you cancel them or is there a setup to be used for them?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM

Re: Headers and O2 Sensors

You need the O2 sensors for the engine computer to run properly. The headers have a threaded plug for them; on long tube style you will probably need extensions for the wiring.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Administrator

If it's a track car, you can elimate the O2 sensors and switch the PCM to an "open loop" tune, but that's not really a good idea for a street car.

Note that starting in 1996, there are both pre-cat and after-cat O2 sensors. You have to keep the pre-cat sensors, which would typically be installed in the header collectors or the Y-pipe. Those are what the PCM uses for closed loop A/F ratio control. The after-cat sensors are only there to monitor the cat performance, and those can be eliminated. You would have to replace them with "O2 sims", or have the after-cat O2 sensors "programmed out" of the PCM, or you will be staring at an SES light and have some codes.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 PM

I had high miles and coated headers. I ran them for two weeks and replaced with brand new AC Delco O2's because the coating can damage them when it burns off for a short time.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If it's a track car, you can elimate the O2 sensors and switch the PCM to an "open loop" tune, but that's not really a good idea for a street car.

Note that starting in 1996, there are both pre-cat and after-cat O2 sensors. You have to keep the pre-cat sensors, which would typically be installed in the header collectors or the Y-pipe. Those are what the PCM uses for closed loop A/F ratio control. The after-cat sensors are only there to monitor the cat performance, and those can be eliminated. You would have to replace them with "O2 sims", or have the after-cat O2 sensors "programmed out" of the PCM, or you will be staring at an SES light and have some codes.
what about the Cat converters... would i need to have them refitted on as they are eliminated on my 96..
Old 02-05-2012, 08:28 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

You don't need catalytic converters, unless you have emissions testing that you have to pass. Even then, it may be possible to run without them. A lot of people get rid of their cats.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by aknight_sa
what about the Cat converters... would i need to have them refitted on as they are eliminated on my 96..
No, you don't need to "have them refitted" if you install headers. And if you have already eliminated them on your 96, how did you prevent PCM codes and an SES light? You either had to have the after-cat sensors "programmed out" of the PCM, or you had to install O2 sims. Or you didn't do anything, and the SES light is on.

As noted above, you're not likely to pass a visual or tailpipe emissions test without the cats.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:15 PM

Just get extensions:
Casper O2 Extensions

I used these when I installed my High Flow Dual Cat Y-pipe 10 years ago and then are still working fine.... Keeps all the sensors working as they should.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:29 AM

o2 extensions or corvette o2s

you're gonna want a tune after headers, whether you delete the CATs or not
Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
No, you don't need to "have them refitted" if you install headers. And if you have already eliminated them on your 96, how did you prevent PCM codes and an SES light? You either had to have the after-cat sensors "programmed out" of the PCM, or you had to install O2 sims. Or you didn't do anything, and the SES light is on.

As noted above, you're not likely to pass a visual or tailpipe emissions test without the cats.
ok,

for the issue i have is that my camaro has long tube headers, where can i install the sensors as the only place to have them installed will be at the joining point which is far from the block..

any solution for that?
Old 03-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Administrator

Correct. If your headers do not have bungs for the O2 sensors, you have to have the bungs welded on in the collectors, just downstream from the merge point.

You don't indicate what year your car is. If it's a 93, it has "1-wire" unheated O2 sensors. You can use an extension between the cars wiring harness and the O2 sensor, and see if the O2 sensors get hot enough to work. If they do, you are OK. If they do not get hot enough to work, you can convert to heated O2 sensors.

If your car is 94 or newer, you already have "4-wire" heated O2 sensors, and they will work fine, even though they are further from the engine.

You need to add a "Signature" with basic info about your car - year, model, engine, trans and any major mods. That way we can give you more accurate information specific to your car.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:36 AM

will have the signature added now

what i have is a 97 Camaro with LT1.. so all i need to do is get the sensors and have bungs welded on the collector..

thanks
Old 03-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator

To add a "Signature", go to "User CP" on the red task bar at the top of the page, left click on "Edit Signature". That way, the info appears at the bottom of every post, and you dont have to keep tying it over and over.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:32 PM

Hey there
so i have a 2000 z28 it has cold air intake, power programmer hooked with and an open flow exhaust system. i have been having troubles with it because it keeps on sputtering on me and will take a while to accelerate. basically it is driving like a 200 hp car. i have changed the fuel filter two weeks ago. i have my knock sensor code, bank 2 sensor 2 and bank 1 sensor 2 codes being thrown. i have no idea what it is. i think my knock sensor might just be bad but i am stumped. no one around my city seems to know what it is i have heard anything from clogged cats to needing new spark plugs or blowing out my injectors so on and so forth. any thoughts on what you guys think??? or what to start replacing
i could really use some help here.
thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM

You should start your own thread in the LS engine section and you will get tons more help. What are the code numbers you are getting? I bet those will lead you to the problem.

Last edited by mrmint69; 04-29-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added

Quick Reply: Headers and O2 Sensors