General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Headers from hell...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Re: Headers from hell...

Replace the battery. Even if that's not the cause, it will hamper your attempt to find the cause. Then have the alternator tested.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:09 PM

So I'm still dealing with this problem... Had the alternator tested... It was good! Got a new battery...
I'm still having the car stall on me right after I start it.... If I step on the gas The car will remain on, but the sec I let go the gas pedal the car stalls... I checked for vac leaks could not find any...
I check the fuel pressure, it read at 35 psi and dropped to 30 after 10 min... Got a new fuel filter, pressure is still at 35 psi...

Anything else I could be checking????
Old 04-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Administrator

What is the fuel pressure at idle, with the vacuum compensation line disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator - plug end of vacuum line to prevent a vacuum leak? Should be in the range of 41-47 psi. Reconnect vacuum line, pressure should drop about 8 psi with a stock cam.

35 psi prime (engine off) is on the low side.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What is the fuel pressure at idle, with the vacuum compensation line disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator - plug end of vacuum line to prevent a vacuum leak? Should be in the range of 41-47 psi. Reconnect vacuum line, pressure should drop about 8 psi with a stock cam.

35 psi prime (engine off) is on the low side.
Since the car dies right after I start it, I can't get and idle reading of the fuel pressure.. Any other test I can do???
Old 04-27-2015, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Don't have a friend to hold the pedal for you?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:50 PM

Did the car run fine before you started the header install? No trouble running at all?

If so, you need to focus on what happened during the header install. Most notability, the optispark being soaked by the water pump. This can cause a number of issues including even getting it re-installed incorrectly(if you are not careful....) causing a timing issue....even on a '95-97 model.

Have you checked all the voltages and signals of the opti using the video in the opti troubleshooting sticky at the top of the LT1 engine forum to help you?

As Injuneer mentioned, the 35psi pressure with ignition key "on" is a little concerning. You are checking the pressure with the ignition key in the "on" position....correct?

This is kinda out there....but make sure you didn't disconnect the vacuum brake booster hose and forget to reconnect it during the header install. It will not run worth a dang with that kind of vacuum leak(ask me how I know....).

Last edited by ACE1252; 04-28-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:56 PM

Don't have a friend to hold the pedal for you?
Yeah, I didn't know if revving the engine would change the numbers... I'll give it a shot and tell you the results...
Old 04-28-2015, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Did the car run fine before you started the header install? No trouble running at all?

If so, you need to focus on what happened during the header install. Most notability, the optispark being soaked by the water pump. This can cause a number of issues including even getting it re-installed incorrectly(if you are not careful....) causing a timing issue....even on a '95-97 model.

Have you checked all the voltages and signals of the opti using the video in the opti troubleshooting sticky at the top of the LT1 engine forum to help you?

As Injuneer mentioned, the 35psi pressure with ignition key "on" is a little concerning. You are checking the pressure with the ignition key in the "on" position....correct?

This is kinda out there....but make sure you didn't disconnect the vacuum brake booster hose and forget to reconnect it during the header install. It will not run worth a dang with that kind of vacuum leak(ask me how I know....).
Yes Ace the car ran perfectly before the header install, I figured the header install was pretty straight forward, so I didn't think I would screw it up this bad....

A few concerns that I have with the car is first of all a vacuum leak!!!! I know when I was tucking and pulling on the headers, I snap a few vac hoses which I replaced... but I'm wondering if there is another leak I'm not seeing.. also I did the EGR delete, so I removed the air pump, metal pipe and I got the delete plates from ebay.... although one of the plates (egr valve) was too big, so I had to cut it to what I felt was the right size...

my second major concern is of course the opti, it was pretty wet when the water pump leak all over it.... the third was the connector pig tail that connects to the opti had wires exposed which I had to tape with electrical tape... however after I cleaned the opti and tape the wires, I tested it with one spark plug wire connected to it and I turned the opti with a drill and I got a nice little spark....(don't know if that necessarily means the opti is good, ) but I assumed the opti was good since it had spark....

as far as the fuel pressure, yeah I tested it with a fuel pressure tester from autozone, and with the key on (connected to the shrader valve) reads 35 psi and it drops to 30 after about 10 minutes... today I was able to test with the car on and it was pretty steady at around 30 psi... 31,32 since i had to rev it to keep the engine on.... I understand this is below average. I checked the fuel filter with I replaced no more than 2 months ago, and it is not clogged at all....

this is where I stand right now...
Old 04-29-2015, 07:50 AM
Administrator

The critical EGR plate is the one that covers the hole where the EGR valve used to be. A leak there will be a vacuum leak. Did you put sensor safe RTV on the plate to seal it to the manifold?

If your headers had an EGR connection, that plate should be sealed tight as well - hard to do with only one bolt. Again, sensor safe high temp RTV needs to be used, or a pliant high temp gasket.

Fuel pressure is low. Was that with the vacuum compensation line disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator?
Old 04-29-2015, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 95z_28_camaro_4_Ivan

.... the third was the connector pig tail that connects to the opti had wires exposed which I had to tape with electrical tape... however after I cleaned the opti and tape the wires......
There is a replacement short Opti harness available from EFIConnection. Do not rely on tape. A faulty harness can cause intermittent signals from the cam position sensor in the Opti.

EFI Connection, LLC - Item Details
Old 04-29-2015, 08:51 AM

The critical EGR plate is the one that covers the hole where the EGR valve used to be. A leak there will be a vacuum leak. Did you put sensor safe RTV on the plate to seal it to the manifold?

If your headers had an EGR connection, that plate should be sealed tight as well - hard to do with only one bolt. Again, sensor safe high temp RTV needs to be used, or a pliant high temp gasket.

Fuel pressure is low. Was that with the vacuum compensation line disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator?

I did use high temp RTV sealer.. the red one from autozone, don't know if it's sensor safe... my headers don't have the egr connections, they're long tubes off road no egr/air conn.

the fuel pressure test was with the car running and no I didn't disconnect the vac hose from the fpr... I will test that tonight..

Thanks for the link to the short opti connector, i just purchased one...
Old 05-01-2015, 04:02 PM

I did the FPR test again, and removed the vacuum off the regulator while the car was running, No gas came out of the regulator and no evidence of a fuel leak on the regulator.... the fuel pressure read at 40 psi with the vacuum line disconnected....

any more test I could do???
Old 05-08-2015, 09:56 AM

Quick update, I decided to focus my attention on the opti since I did get a bunch of anti-freeze on it. well since I can't really afford a new unit right now, and I don't want to buy a cheappy one, I went' ahead and took it out, cleaned it, opened it up, cleaned the inside (which was filthy) I scraped a lot of the dirt and debris out of there as best as I could, there was oil in there from possibly the opti seal or WP seal, which I replaced, dried it up and put a new harness on the opti. put all back together and it started right up, it stays on but I haven't had a chance to tested, since it was kind of late when I finished. I'm def taking it for a test drive today after work, hopefully I won't have any more issues for now. I will replaced the opti for a new delphi unit as soon as I have the cash...

Here are some photos I took of the opti... finch6002002's Library | Photobucket