General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Headers from hell...

Old 04-15-2015, 09:35 AM

Headers from hell...

Good morning guys, I bought a set of ebay headers and ory pipe, I thought I take this project on my own. And it has been one problem after another... First off the headers hit the oil filter, so they wouldn't go in... I read that i could do a oil cooler delete and create more space... I did and the headers went in perfectly. After I installed the headers, I try to start the car but my water pump went out fluid was everywhere (including the optispark).. I went' to autozone replaced the water pump put it back on, zipped everything up again and went to start the car... and no start....no spark... took everything off again ..including the opti, and of course it was soaking in anti-freeze... cleaned it as best as i could, tested it and I got spark..

put everything back together went to start the car and it started for about 20 seconds then it died...

looked under the car, and that synthetic oil (30 bucks or so) its splattered all over my garage under the car... boomer!!!

I looked under the card and it appears to be coming from where the oil cooler used to be...

so I'm wondering if I performed the oil cooler delete correctly???

I took the oil cooler out, replaced the studs/bolts and placed the new filter on....

my question is ... should there be a seal or gasket between the oil filter and the block where the oil cooler used to be... or does the oil filter go in on to the block with just the seal that comes with the filter????

any help would be nice....

Thanks,
Old 04-15-2015, 12:12 PM

Re: Headers from hell...

If you are talking about this aluminum piece...there is no gasket. The seal on the filter is the only one needed.

Name:  oiladapter.jpg
Views: 2165
Size:  14.2 KB
Old 04-15-2015, 12:22 PM

Re-read your post...if you had an oil filter and removed the piece in the picture above and installed a remote filter setup there is an "o" ring between the block and remote adapter.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Administrator

I'm pretty sure he removed the oil cooler, then installed the filter on the adapter that was left after removing the cooler. I can't comment on the details of a 95, because the 93/94 cooler is different than the 95 cooler.

Courtesy of Shoebox, this is the 95:

http://shbox.com/1/oil_cooler.jpg

You do have to replace the two studs with conventional bolts.

The 94 has horizontal connections, rather than vertical.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I'm pretty sure he removed the oil cooler, then installed the filter on the adapter that was left after removing the cooler. I can't comment on the details of a 95, because the 93/94 cooler is different than the 95 cooler.

Courtesy of Shoebox, this is the 95:

http://shbox.com/1/oil_cooler.jpg

You do have to replace the two studs with conventional bolts.

The 94 has horizontal connections, rather than vertical.
That's exactly what I did injuneer... I removed the oil cooler and placed the new filter directly on to the adapter that was left attached on to the block.

when I put it on, it appear to go in nice and snug... I didn't get any oil leaks until I started the car... and even then it was more of splatter,, 5 quarts of oil in a giant circle right under oil filter...

this happened last night, I was too frustrated so I just clean the mess and left the car alone.. I look at it again and see if I can find anything again...

is this a common issued after doing the oil cooler delete?? I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at???

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciated!!!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Did you replace the long studs with bolts?
Old 04-17-2015, 09:46 AM

Yes I did replaced the bolts with regular conventional bolts from autozone. My concern is that maybe I did not tight them up properly and maybe that caused the major leak... I'll check it today after work, and I'll try to post any relevant pictures that can help us pin point the problem...

Thanks again,
Old 04-18-2015, 04:44 PM

oil filter adp.jpegoil 2.jpegoil 3.jpegoil 4.jpeg
Old 04-18-2015, 04:45 PM

Old 04-18-2015, 04:47 PM

anybody know how I can upload an image from my desktop?
Old 04-18-2015, 04:48 PM

oil filter adp_zps379oz7q0.jpeg Photo by finch6002002 | Photobucket

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/fi...tml?sort=3&o=1
http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/fi...tml?sort=3&o=0

Ok hopefully you guys can see the above images,

I removed the filter, and made sure the bolts were on nice and tight. which there were. Now from one of the images you can see that the oil filter I got which is a mobil filter doesn't cover the whole width of the block. I cleaned the surface of the oil filter placed it back on tight and without even starting the car, I started noticing a small little drip from where the block and the filter meet... you guys think maybe a wider filter might take care of this problem????

Last edited by 95z_28_camaro_4_Ivan; 04-18-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 PM

Hey just to update you guys, I was able to defeat the oil leak from the oil cooler... Now the problem I'm having is that the car will not stay on... I can start it, but it will only stay running if I'm pressing the gas. The car automatically shuts off when I release the throttle. I also notice that the battery will not hold a charge, I am having to jump it every time to get a start.

I link a quick video of the car running, maybe you guys can point me in the right direction..

Thanks again,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bd...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-20-2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 95z_28_camaro_4_Ivan
Hey just to update you guys, I was able to defeat the oil leak from the oil cooler... Now the problem I'm having is that the car will not stay on... I can start it, but it will only stay running if I'm pressing the gas. The car automatically shuts off when I release the throttle. I also notice that the battery will not hold a charge, I am having to jump it every time to get a start.

I link a quick video of the car running, maybe you guys can point me in the right direction..

Thanks again,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bd...ature=youtu.be
Any ideas?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Administrator

What is the battery voltage, on the dash gauge, right after the engine starts, and you lift off the accel pedal? Looks like it's deep in the red.

Last edited by Injuneer; 04-20-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:35 PM

Right after it starts the voltage is about 12 or so... But I have to press on the accel pedal immediately or the car shuts off...! And I'm having to jump start the car every time...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers from hell...