General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Has anyone ever put in a car seat in there camaro?

Old 04-07-2004, 10:25 AM

Exclamation Has anyone ever put in a car seat in there camaro?

I want my boy to be able to ride in my Camaro but I can't seem to get the car seat to fit in correctly. Are there any brands that fit in the camaro safely? Or do I need to just wait until he get older. It just does seem safe.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:33 AM

The smaller seats seem to work well, but you have to use the metal clip so the seatbelt does not retract once you get it snug. Put all of your weight on the car seat and have someone attach the clip and it should be in there pretty tight once you remove your weight from the seat.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:34 AM

Thought about it. But my wife says if I ever put baby girl in the Z she'd have to pack up and leave, setting me up with weekend visits only. I tend to do funny things when I drive it. I assume back seat? Does it not recline enough, or just not get tight. Try wrapping a 2x4 with a towel, put it in the crotch of the seat, and cinch the car seat down on top of that real tight. That worked in the back seat of the Impala, back seat of a Maxima, and my truck. If your talking about a front facing booster seat, try the same thing, gives you enough room for the backrest of the seat between it and the camaro's seat back. Hope this helps. If you can't get it to where your comfortable, I wouldn't risk it, and wait.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:27 PM

Thought about it. But my wife says if I ever put baby girl in the Z she'd have to pack up and leave, setting me up with weekend visits only.
First of all I think she could have said "no way" without the ultimatum....

secondly I have had a car seat in mine and it did fit perfectly... It was a booster seat too but its a real pain to get the baby in and out of the car (I was in pain from a back injury).

Third... if you still manage to get the baby back there... if something happens and you have to have the baby out the car in a rush it is time comsuming and difficult... I am with your wife in the sense of.... its not a good idea. Specially when you say you do you weird things in your Z. I dont have kids but one of my ex G/f had a baby girl and my rule of thumb when I had then riding in the car was "No sudden moves".

I remember the Car seat we were using was just a standard size we purchased at K-mart (yeah I didnt make much money back then)

Marvin
Old 04-07-2004, 02:50 PM

I used a car seat in my TA occasionally. I would have it anchored in so tight that it would seem like it was an integral part of the car! Like someone else said, the key is to put all of your weight on it as you tighten the belt.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:54 PM

You missed the point dude, I wasn't the one asking about the car seat. I was just goofing. But, like today, I would have liked to take the Z to work, but it's my day to pick up the baby, so I'll drive the truck. I'm a nervous wreck anyway when I have to drive with the baby, with all the others on the road. Also remembered, around here the State Police offer free checks of baby seats to make sure they will hold up in an accident and are installed right. If you can make it fit in your camaro, might want to look something like this up in your area to quell any doubts you might have. But, good luck. Those seats can be a pain in the butt, but be sure it's safe for baby.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:48 PM

I took out my back seats (and still have them out) to get in a car seat. I forget the age limit, but initially you have to face the kid toward the back of the car.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:55 PM

I allways set my knee into the seat with my weight on it then tighten it all down.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:00 PM

I have not but, a member of my local club has one in his 02 ZL1.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:07 PM

I've never had a problem putting one in my thirdgen. I put it behind the drivers seat in the rear. I believe the seats and room is exactly the same as a fourthgen, it was very snug.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:44 PM

In my opinion, you should never put a car seat directly behind the driver's seat if you don't have to. If you put it on the passenger side in the rear, it's a lot easier to glance over your shoulder to check on the baby and remove in an emergency.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:19 PM

I set my car seat, on the center hump and use the seatbelt to route and latch each side. It locks in place quite nicely and allows two adults to sit up front.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:56 PM

I have no problems with my 18 month old. She gets so excited when I start it..... she loves to kick the back of my seat

Heck I have dragraced with the car seat left in..... (no baby in it of course, she was at home, safe with mom )
Old 04-07-2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by carlos64030
In my opinion, you should never put a car seat directly behind the driver's seat if you don't have to. If you put it on the passenger side in the rear, it's a lot easier to glance over your shoulder to check on the baby and remove in an emergency.
Wife is always in the car when I did have it in there, she never likes to ride in it but she had a flat so we moved to my car. I have never driven with him behind my seat with just me in the car and I totally agree with you.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:17 PM

Re: Has anyone ever put in a car seat in there camaro?

does anyone have pictures of how they mounted the seat on the center trans hump?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone ever put in a car seat in there camaro?