Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 F-Body Technical Discussion > General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Garage
Unhappy Harmonic Balancer Hub Fell Off...

Hello everyone and thanks for allowing me to be part of this site. I have a question for some of you veteran LT-1 owner's....I was driving my car yesterday when i heard what sounded like i had ran over something metal in the road. I pulled over on the side of the road just to reassure myself that it wasn't something from my car. I popped the hood and all looked good until i noticed my serpentine belt looked loose. After further inspection, i noticed my harmonic balancer with dampening hub just hanging down towards the bottom of my motor. I put 2 and 2 together and the noise i heard was actually the crank bolt and washer falling out and bouncing off the bottom of my car. My question is this....is it ok to just put this back on and be done or is there anything else i should be aware of? I did notice that oil was dripping from the front of the crank where the hub goes, but i assume that's just the seal on the timing cover which i was going to replace anyways.....Any help or suggestions are appreciated. The motor was also just rebuilt and has less than 1000 miles on it and i turned it off immediately as i heard that noise and nothing got over heated, thats why im wondering if i should be concerned or not. Also, just so you guys know, i am not the one who re built the motor lol...Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Stephen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: Harmonic Balancer Hub Fell Off...

Stock or aftermarket damper/hub? The stock hub is an interference fit. Typically is has to be forced.on with an install tool. There is a keyway in the crank but none on ths hub, so no key is used. The bolt is specific to the hub/crank and should have a large washer bearing on the hub.

You have to determine why it has such a loose fit - crank snout diameter too small, or hub bore too.large.

It won't overheat on loss of the belt. The water pump is gear driven off the cam sprocket.

94 Formula A3+1: 381ci all-forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / Comp Cams custom solid roller / TH400 + GearVendors OD / Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's / 300-shot N2O / Spohn suspension / 6-pt roll bar with integrated SFC's / AutoMeter instrumentation / MoTeC M48Pro engine management system / a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800LB-FT at the flywheel.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
Stock or aftermarket damper/hub? The stock hub is an interference fit. Typically is has to be forced.on with an install tool. There is a keyway in the crank but none on ths hub, so no key is used. The bolt is specific to the hub/crank and should have a large washer bearing on the hub.

You have to determine why it has such a loose fit - crank snout diameter too small, or hub bore too.large.

It won't overheat on loss of the belt. The water pump is gear driven off the cam sprocket.
Thanks buddy for the reply. It is a stock hub. I am not sure if it is lose fitting or just was not put on correctly/torqued and lock tighted....How would be the best way to ensure it is aligned the correct way? I am planning on pulling the front end off of it.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Garage

You have to determine if the fit is too loose. If it is, it's going to spin on the crank and damage it.

94 Formula A3+1: 381ci all-forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / Comp Cams custom solid roller / TH400 + GearVendors OD / Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's / 300-shot N2O / Spohn suspension / 6-pt roll bar with integrated SFC's / AutoMeter instrumentation / MoTeC M48Pro engine management system / a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800LB-FT at the flywheel.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #5

Garage

Quote:
You have to determine if the fit is too loose. If it is, it's going to spin on the crank and damage it.
OK, I will check the fit once i get it home tomorrow....Thanks again Injuneer..
Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #6

Garage

Ok guys, i got my Z home tonight....i checked the hub and it seems tight like it wont go on unless its pressed....is there a certain position i have to put the balancer back on at?...as in do i need to worry about lining anything up before i torque it back down and install the serpentine? Also, what is required to be removed to re install my harmonic balancer and hub?

Last edited by Stephen68; 08-02-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #7

If the elastomer fell off the hub I would buy a new balancer,you already said there is a leak so now is the time to fix it and upgrade your balancer.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
If the elastomer fell off the hub I would buy a new balancer,you already said there is a leak so now is the time to fix it and upgrade your balancer.
Excuse my ignorance transamtom, but what is "elastomer "? i purchased a new hub but there is nothing like that on it....
Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Garage

He didn't read your post correctly. He is thinking the outer ring of the damper fell off, or the damper fell off and damaged the hard rubber (elastomer) ring that holds the inner and outer rings of the damper together. The elastomer allows the outer ring to absorb (dampen) the crankshaft's harmonic rotational vibrations, to reduce fatigue of the crankshaft.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #10

Garage

Quote:
He didn't read your post correctly. He is thinking the outer ring of the damper fell off, or the damper fell off and damaged the hard rubber (elastomer) ring that holds the inner and outer rings of the damper together. The elastomer allows the outer ring to absorb (dampen) the crankshaft's harmonic rotational vibrations, to reduce fatigue of the crankshaft.
ah, thank u sir....
Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM

Reply Post New Thread