General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Grille Mod/Air Flow/Cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 AM

Grille Mod/Air Flow/Cooling?

I have a 1997 Camaro with wings west kit, it requires a lower air deflector to allow for cooling because of the lower front end bumper... this thing rubs on driveways and breaks easily. I was thinking about modding the front end where the chevy bowtie sits. My thinking is that by removing the solid black piece and fabricating a supported mount for a metal mesh grille that I could maintain the integrity of the fron end and added weight as well as increase airflow to the radiator. I cannot look at my car's front end as it's in the shop currently, besides just the obvious looking at it I figured somebody on here would understand the whole airflow requirements better than myself! Any thoughts on airflow for this mod...? Would I be able to abandon the lower air deflector from the wings west kit with this mod and at least maintain the same airflow as stock or possibly increase airflow?

Here is a photoshopped image:
Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Re: Grille Mod/Air Flow/Cooling?

There are other pieces that would have to be modified in order to work the way you are intending. There should be an additional plastic deflector as well as part of the honeycomb bumper support and the actual 'crash bumper'.

I removed/modified all of those things in order to put in my FMIC-(front mount intercooler). The thing I would be most concerned with would be the integrity of the body kit fitment without the center support. I don't have a body kit on my car so it is just supporting the bumper itself- but I also filled it in tight to the intercooler to complete the finished look.

It would help to cut it out- perhaps even add some ducts from the vents on the body kit to add with the cooling. Best advice is to pull the bumper cover off and see what you have and what you need to remove to get the airflow thru before you start cutting...
Old 07-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Got the car back, looked and it seems like there is Windshield washer fluid resevoir all over. the hood latch and some sort of protective plastic shield behind it.

I could do hood pins/locks and remove the hood latch...maybe reverse the mount of the hood...hinge on the front headlight area not the windshield...

I could easily find a container to replace/move the washer fluid resevoir.

All of that and some 'ducting' and I'd still be 'questionable' for airflow...

I'm thinking finding someone to make an airbag kit for my front end might be EASIER and safer... just bump the ride up a couple inches on the front for driveways/etc...
Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 AM

how much did this kit run you? and install? paint?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:31 AM

hmm...i saw these assisting spring things a while ago. a friend got them because he put a 500lb audio system in the back of his car. theyre basically airbags, and pretty cheap. if you could mount those to your front suspension, you could raise your car for bumps, while not affecting ride and handling otherwise