General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Get the Firebird ready to sell

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 PM

Get the Firebird ready to sell

I didn't post this is the marketplace because I'm not selling my Firebird yet.

I've had my 1995 Firebird Formula with the 6-speed manual and T-tops since the summer of 2009 and it has been a blast to own. It's has 151,xxx mi on the body and an estimated 100,000mi on the engine which was replaced by a GM dealership. I can't authenticate the engine mileage, but it does have a tag authenticating that it was replaced by the dealership. I really only drove it during the summers these past three years, but now I started work in center city Philadelphia and I bought a little Mazda Protege5 as my commuter car. Unfortunately I can't afford to keep the Firebird so I'm getting it ready to sell.

The car shows its age, and needs some work. I also wish I had taken better care of this car. I was hoping you guys in the community could help me decide which work is necessary to make the car salable, what would likely increase the sale value greater than the cost for me to fix it, or if you think any certain repairs/replacements won't recoup what I would invest in it. I figure you all would know better than me.

Things I would consider a must
  • interior fans aren't working
  • reverse lights don't work
Things I'm less sure about
  • headliner is missing
  • shift boot is in poor condition
  • rear hatch struts don't always stay up
  • front chin spoiler was ripped off by speed bump (have chin spoiler)
  • A/C compressor is seized, I've been running an !A/C pulley since I've owned it
  • beginning of rust in a few wheel wells
  • rear bumper paint doesn't match
  • power steering pump has always whined when steering
  • a pump occasionally whines (I'm afraid it is the fuel pump, based on where is sounds like it's coming from and I only noticed it after running out of fuel)

I'll post some photos soon and more info at anyone's request.

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:06 PM

Re: Get the Firebird ready to sell

The front spoiler definitely needs to be repaired. That's what keeps the engine from overheating when the car is moving.