General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Fuel Pump Tester Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 12:34 AM

Fuel Pump Tester Gauge

I am looking for a reasonably priced fuel pump pressure gauge that doesn't require teflon tape on the threads like the one at harbor freight.Just for occasional use.Any ideas.Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Re: Fuel Pump Tester Gauge

I've had this one for 20 years, works/seals great with no tape. Unfortunately, there's not even a brand name on it. Was probably about $25. The seal is made by the rubber ring around the pin that depresses the valve core.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pump Tester Gauge-img_0711.jpg   Fuel Pump Tester Gauge-img_0089.jpg   Fuel Pump Tester Gauge-img_0092.jpg  
Old 09-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
...doesn't require teflon tape on the threads like the one at harbor freight.
You are aware that the Teflon tape is only used at the fittings of the various supplied hoses to the Harbor Freight gauge head, correct? If you only use it for your car, that would only be done once and the hose could be left attached to the gauge all the time. The fitting of the hose to the GM engine not only requires no tape, but none should be used. It seals by a rubber ring inside the fitting, like all other brands.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:38 PM

I thought tape was used at both ends,my bad.Many thanks again.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:43 PM

Well I got the fuel pressure gauge from Harbor Fright and I followed all the instructions from here and utube and I gotta tell ya it is a piece of doggy do do.After I released the pressure on the schrader valve,I was careful to hand screw on the fitting tight.Turned on the ignition but didn't start the car and got a reading of 6 lbs.So I turned off the ignition and unscrewed the connection to the schrader and looked inside the hose connection and saw the black rubber thing all twisted around and a piece of it flaking off so I pulled the small piece off and re tested it again and got no reading after several attempts.Oh,And at the first test I could here air escaping in the tester unit itself and not from the connection which I teflon taped.Is that black gasket thing inside suppose to move all over the place?Up and down and all around?Sorry for the long post but dang.This week I'm gonna drop $50.00 for a better one.Myo2.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

The instructions are minimal and generic because there are several fittings that can be used on several brands of cars, and the Chinese can't write much good English anyway ;-) Did you use tools only to attach the hose extension to the gauge head? If yours has a rubber cushion around the head, it can hide the wrench fitting on the head. Too much twisting force on the head body can break the internal connection.

As for the small rubber ring, you may have tightened it too much. It is not supposed to move around at all.

Take it back and swap it with another one. Remove the rubber cushion from the head to better access the square wrench fitting on the head next time.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
The instructions are minimal and generic because there are several fittings that can be used on several brands of cars, and the Chinese can't write much good English anyway ;-) Did you use tools only to attach the hose extension to the gauge head? If yours has a rubber cushion around the head, it can hide the wrench fitting on the head. Too much twisting force on the head body can break the internal connection.

As for the small rubber ring, you may have tightened it too much. It is not supposed to move around at all.

Take it back and swap it with another one. Remove the rubber cushion from the head to better access the square wrench fitting on the head next time.
I think you were right on the too much twisting (tightening) on the head.I might have broken something.Anyway,I still have it cause I like the case that came with the kit.Debating weather to return it or not.Well I went to Autozone and picked up a Innova 3640 for$50.00 otd and it came with the hose attached already to the head and was a slam dunk attaching to the schrader valve. I turned the key on and it read just under the 40 line ,about 39 1/2 lbs and went to 38 lbs. in 2 minutes.---held steady at 38 for 4 minutes---went to 36lbs. in 35 minutes.Then I started the engine and I forgot what it read but I removed the hose on the fuel pressure regulator and felt good vacuum on the hose and watched the needle on the gauge shoot up and back down to where it was when I re attached the hose.So that works.I'm looking for a inconsistent small vacuum leak that will give me a rough idle off and on.Next I'm going after the o-rings on the injectors.This testing is all new to me sorry for the long post.Many thanks.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:43 PM

The Innova came with no case.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:47 PM

It also came with a discharge hose to relieve pressure and I stuck the end of the hose in a plastic bottle held in with the handle of a screw driver.Works great.Ok,I'm done.