General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

NRG Quick Release Steering Wheel System

Old 09-07-2013, 04:36 PM

NRG Quick Release Steering Wheel System

Has anyone using this site installed an NRG steering wheel quick release?
I own a '69 Pro Street Camaro with fixed racing seats along with an elaborate roll cage. This set-up doesn't lend itself for an easy entrance or exit to and from the seated position primarily because the factory steering wheel interferes with your legs. So, after allot of research I found a company (NRG) that has developed a well engineered quick release system that allows quick removal of the wheel at anytime. Allot like a nascar or other forms of race cars for its intended purpose.
Haven't decided if I'll use the stock steering wheel due to its dish offset or locate a more custom wheel to complete the installation.
Feedback appreciated.......thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Re: NRG Quick Release Steering Wheel System

just get a good one and always check and triple check its locked in the pits before a pass. You know that's how steve parks got into his carrer ending crash ? It was either warm up lap or a caution and he was jerking on it an it came off sending him into the wall.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:15 PM

I hear you. This (2) piece unit is suppose to be a proven component. BTW, there will no racing involved. Although this '69 I purchased earlier this year was built for road racing. It has an awesome high end torque arm under it, along with tubular a-arms and AFCO shocks all around. Handles like its on rails.
Well, what I'm looking for are those on this site that have experienced this quick release unit.
If you have a moment take a look at www.nrg.com.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Well, it appears this modification is not the norm amongst Camaro enthusiast. And for all the reasons I want to install such a unit I'm now not sure this is the answer. The recommended kit moves the steering wheel 3.5 inches closer to the driver. Didn't know that up front...so with allot of aftermarket stuff out there again...very disappointed. A change in ergonomics in this case is undesirable.
This will be returned this week.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Look at the various Grant (or other brand) aftermarket wheels. They have a huge selection of diameters and dish. Get a smaller diameter and even consider a "D" shaped wheel to maximize the room at the bottom. Get the dish dimension that puts the wheel where you want it. I picked up a relatively inexpensive Grant GT wheel, smaller than stock diameter, and it's a lot more fun to drive than the bloated stock steering wheel with the airbag. This is a "racing involved" setup . The red Pontiac arrowhead on the horn button looks great too.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Look at the various Grant (or other brand) aftermarket wheels. They have a huge selection of diameters and dish. Get a smaller diameter and even consider a "D" shaped wheel to maximize the room at the bottom. Get the dish dimension that puts the wheel where you want it. I picked up a relatively inexpensive Grant GT wheel, smaller than stock diameter, and it's a lot more fun to drive than the bloated stock steering wheel with the airbag. This is a "racing involved" setup . The red Pontiac arrowhead on the horn button looks great too.
So, are you saying to still consider using the NRG hub/quick release set-up? I'm not a fan of a "D" shaped wheel just wouldn't look right.
Again, no Camaro owners have chimed in to give a thumbs up or down.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Administrator

No, I was suggesting you find a wheel that met your requirements without being removable, but if you are ruling out a D-shaped wheel, there's not much more I can offer.

I think you're going to find that there are not a whole lot of 1st and 2nd Gen owners on the site - a few, and we value them, but the overwhelming number of members are 4th Gen owners.