General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

freshly rebuilt AC system keeps shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 PM

freshly rebuilt AC system keeps shutting down

i had my AC system rebuilt for the second time about a month ago (first time was in 05) and counting the original compressor i'm on number 5 due to 2 defective ones including the one the shop put in a month ago that they had to replace that same day...

anyway, here's my problem. The AC worked fine for a month or so and then last saturday the AC wasnt working and the compressor wasn't kicking on. i took it to the shop and they were having trouble getting power to the compressor. they said it wasn't getting power and thought there was an electrical problem and looked at a bunch of stuff and changed a fuse and it still wouldn't come on. i told them to check the computer and they finallly did and were able to reset it and the AC worked. they then added some more 134 to the system because it said it was low. the AC worked fine for the rest of that day. i hadn't driven the car since then and when i got into it today, the AC was dead again. the compressor again is not kicking on. i tried disconnecting the battery for 5 mins and nothing...

i went back to the shop without calling and they were too busy to look at it so i made an appointment for tomorrow morning. what could be causing the AC system to keep shutting down like that? i'm thinking a defective compressor but they said it wasn't leaking at all. could the compressor be blowing a fuse or doing something that would cause the computer to shut the AC off? i seem to recall them saying they had changed a blown fuse and the AC still didn't work and only after they reset the computer after changing the blown fuse did the compressor kick on.

i'd like to know what to suggest to them since this is hopefully warrenty related (they didn't charge me for the saturday trip) i have a 2 year warrenty on the compressor and i'm assuming the same or at least 12 months on the labor.