General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Fog Light

Old 08-19-2011, 12:55 PM

Unhappy Fog Light

This is on my 95 Z-28: One fog light did not work. I did not find instructions in my owner's manual on how to replace the bulb. So, I barged right in. I removed the screw on the outside, which I discovered is only an adjusting screw. The fog light lense popped off. Oops. It appears the bulb is removed from the rear. I do not see any mechanical means to hold the lense on the housing. Is this just attached with an adhesive? If so, is there a recommendation for an adhesive to hold it on after the bulb is replaced?

Last edited by jeffrayks; 08-19-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Neglected to specify the vehicle
Old 08-19-2011, 02:30 PM

Re: Fog Light

if its the only lens, then it probably has to be glued on. i use high temp clear silicone whenever i have to seal lights up, and it works well for me. however, most of mine have also had a secondary means of holding the lens on. like clips, or screws, or whatever
Old 08-19-2011, 03:51 PM

It is kinda a PITA to change the bulb from behind, but can be done.

Your foglights should be held in three places- 1 is the top screw which you found already which is simply for adjustment purposes. There are also two push-pin style connectors on each side that should be holding the foglight as well. To operate those just take a screwdriver and pry out the middle pin about 3/4 of the way, the rest of the push pin should come right out. Be patient as it is time consuming. You can also go in from behind and underneath, but you will need to take down a bunch of plastic pieces to get there.

As far as the glass falling out- some clear silicon should do the trick to hold it in place. Pull the whole housing out- clean the edges really well, place a small bead around the outside, re-install lens. I would also put some tape around it to hold it firm overnight. Would also recommend a slight smear around the outside edge once you are done to ensure its sealed and won't get any water in it.

HTH
Old 08-19-2011, 04:48 PM

Thanks guys for the help. So, if I understand this correctly, the pivot for the fog light is a push pin? If so, the outboard one should be a cinch. But the inside one, I do not see a way to get to it. I am hoping to find a bulb (book says #885) and put it in tomorrow or Sunday. IF it lights, I will be home free. Just silicone on the cover. If not, I will need a plan "B" which I suppose will be a new bulb holder. It looks to be pretty rusty, even though the car only has 21K on it - a garage queen. The straight pins came out of the bulb and the bulb element did not appear to be fried. Maybe it was a bad connection at the bulb. I tried a 12v light accross the two exposed pins and did not get a light. So, my problem may be deeper. Drat.

Once I get this resolved, I will be ready to take on the radio! That should be fun.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:15 PM

You do need spider monkey fingers to get at the inboard side pin- but a little patience you should be able to get at it.

If you can't get it that way just take the lower splash guards off and you can reach up through that way- I don't like that method since there are a ton of screws you have to take out to get the pieces off.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Smile Re: Fog Light

Many thanks to Procharged. Yes, it does require spider monkey fingers (or a really slender pair of needle nose) and a lot of paitience, but removing the push pins is the smart way to go. The real trick was finding black hi-temp silicone to attach the lense. I looked at taking the spash sheilds off to get to the light, and OMG! Do the push pins.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:18 PM

thanks for the thread jeff total time changing right side fog lamp bulb, 10 minutes ( ive got spider monkey fingers ) thanks Procharged for the tips