General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Flowmaster or???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:27 AM

Re: Flowmaster or???

After hearing flows on numerous Z's all i can say is im not a fan of them anymore and it would be hard to convince me different.

GMMG if you have the money.

But i love my Hooker, and so does everyone that hears it.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:52 AM

GMMG i never heard of it... you have a link to it? I wouldn't mind doing something different. I dunno what to get once i even get a camaro lol welll thx
Old 03-30-2006, 12:31 PM

alright man, i know alot of guys that have the flowmaster exhaust, and im not gonna lie it does sound real good. It sounds good for a while but after you get over the fact that you got it..just riding around is really annoying. There is alot of drone and it is very loud inside the vehicle. After i was in a z28 with flowmaster i decided to go with the magnaflow because it is quiet inside the car but loud ouside the car..just wanted to let you know about the mangaflow because it also is not very expensive
Old 03-30-2006, 12:32 PM

www.ls1sounds.com

the gmmg is a double chambered muffler design. the 3" pipe splits after the axle and goes into twin chambers mufflers.

AMAZING musclecar sound, great flow, stainless

but $$$$$$$$
Old 03-30-2006, 12:58 PM

i went with true duals over the axle, i used the smaller race series 40's. i actually felt a noticable differance over the bullits. and a small power gain over the open exhoust. dont be sucked in by the straight threw design either, i was but when i swapped to the flowmaster i got the race car sound, and performance. but thats me.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:54 PM

i got loudmouth on my car and wouldnt change if for the world, i also have mid's headers, and gutted cats,and it's still not to loud like other have said, it does set off my dad's and brother's car alarm we i started it up in the driveway,i think it's funny becasue both of there cars also have loudmouth, and there car's are quite to me. everyone has there own taste.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:05 PM

Flowmasters sound like **** and perform even worse and EVERYONE has one. Let the rednecks in big trucks and soccer moms in SUVs have them, along with the morons in POS thirdgens and 5.0 mustangs. I went unique and got a Magnaflow. I've never even so much as seen another Magnaflow system within a 30 mile radius of me.

I'm friends with the owner of a local muffler shop and he stocks Flowmaster systems for damn near any car or truck you can think of, plus universal fits. He says they sell almost as fast as he buys them, mostly to people with trucks/suvs who don't know any better and think their truck is fast He said my Mag is the first mag he's done in almost 2 and a half years, but it sounds WAYYY better than any flowmaster.

I LOVE the Magnaflow

Last edited by urbaNHunter44; 03-30-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:26 PM

Interesting.... well i went to that link and liked the GMMG sound, also liked SLP loudmouth and the magnoflow i liked the flowmaster too, but i think i would get magnaflow or loudmouth or GMMG, but i would like to see some info on which flows the best, does anyone know which one performs the best? Thx
Old 03-30-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Interesting.... well i went to that link and liked the GMMG sound, also liked SLP loudmouth and the magnoflow i liked the flowmaster too, but i think i would get magnaflow or loudmouth or GMMG, but i would like to see some info on which flows the best, does anyone know which one performs the best? Thx
GMMG is supposed to be the best performer but it's all relative. The Loudmouth and Magnaflow are also very good quality systems.

My last Z28 had the Hooker catback on it and I was happy with it too.

The chambered design of the GMMG is basically the straight pipe with several 'crimps' in it. It's not restrictive at all. The GMMG is expensive though, but after hearing the ZL1 Supercars sporting it in Bowling Green, I knew I HAD to have one on my next Z28.

I have a video of my car in my sig. The quality is kinda low because I had to upload it, but you can get an idea of how it sounds a bit. In that video, the car was still stock other than the GMMG and intake. It sounds quite a bit meaner now with the headers.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:43 PM

Nice, i think i seen every video uploaded on this site, i seen it before lol... i think it sounds sweet, i also think the one camaro mudding sounds sweet too. i think he has flowmaster one it, but i don't understand the mudding lol... maybe its fun but i wouldn't do that to mine when i get one.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kick Z tail out
GMMG is supposed to be the best performer but it's all relative. The Loudmouth and Magnaflow are also very good quality systems.

My last Z28 had the Hooker catback on it and I was happy with it too.

The chambered design of the GMMG is basically the straight pipe with several 'crimps' in it. It's not restrictive at all. The GMMG is expensive though, but after hearing the ZL1 Supercars sporting it in Bowling Green, I knew I HAD to have one on my next Z28.

I have a video of my car in my sig. The quality is kinda low because I had to upload it, but you can get an idea of how it sounds a bit. In that video, the car was still stock other than the GMMG and intake. It sounds quite a bit meaner now with the headers.

bad cop! doing burn outs on the streets!
Old 03-31-2006, 09:53 PM

I have the Flowmaster 80 series Crossflow on my '94 and its a good, cheap upgrade from stock. Nice chrome tips and the muffler with install ran me just about under $200. I would agree that on long trips, the interior resonance does sometimes become bothersome. People think it's a V8 by the tone until I tell them its a stock V6.

My buddy has SLP Loudmouth on his '02 SS, SLP Longtubes, no cats, and it sounds so loud, great for racing but not for daily driving. It's a great attention-getter, but its more like loud and raspy noise than a nice exhaust tone.

My '96 SS SLP 2OTL is awesome. It has a nice mellow deep idle, yet at WOT it opens up real nice while maintaining a clean sound. No popping, raspiness, or clatter you hear from a lot of aftermarket systems.

I wouldn't fully go by the sounds clips, any exhaust will sound slightly different by application, especially on those clips with anything other than stock motors IE aftermarket cam. Overall you probably want to decide what type of sound you're looking for, and what type of performance you are expecting from it. If you don't mind sound, go for the SLP LM, its cost effective and you'll never forget it's there. If you have money to waste, I'll admit I'm a fan of the BORLA, Corsa, and GMMG systems. If you're el cheapo, get Flowmaster to do the job - you'll like it once you hear it on your car.

If you're still looking to buy, I'll sell you my 1996 Z28/SS #135. Just about mint. $25,ooo. Jk, I'll have it to the death.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:53 PM

I got a Loudmouth on my car and I NEED something else!! Video in sig.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:23 AM

Last time I checked you could get the Magnaflow system from some ebay vendors for around $300 if you inquired about buying it outside of ebay without the "Free" cat in the auctions.

Anyway, I'm extremely happy w/ my Magnaflow, w/ the headers and the gutted cat it sounds downright wicked IMO. It's also the cheapest of the stainless catbacks I believe, all the other $300-ish units are just aluminized steel or something if I recall correctly, likely to not last as long. But I've had a Hooker system and a flowmaster system on a couple of my thirdgens and definitely wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Hooker catback either, I love their tone.

I would wager all of the catbacks are within 5 or so rwhp of each other when on a stock or mild bolt on car, I wouldn't worry about that side of it too much.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:42 PM

quote:
Flowmasters sound like **** and perform even worse and EVERYONE has one. Let the rednecks in big trucks and soccer moms in SUVs have them, along with the morons in POS thirdgens and 5.0 mustangs. I went unique and got a Magnaflow. I've never even so much as seen another Magnaflow system within a 30 mile radius of me.

I'm friends with the owner of a local muffler shop and he stocks Flowmaster systems for damn near any car or truck you can think of, plus universal fits. He says they sell almost as fast as he buys them, mostly to people with trucks/suvs who don't know any better and think their truck is fast He said my Mag is the first mag he's done in almost 2 and a half years, but it sounds WAYYY better than any flowmaster.

I LOVE the Magnaflow

wow! everyone's got there own opinion, and everyone lives in different areas. around here nobody has flowmaster, and people use magnaflow on EVERYTHING. to evry man his own i guess.
P.S. ain't nothing wrong with rednecks and big trucks neither. i'd take a big *** truck over an import anyday, but that just me.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster or???