General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Flowmaster or???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:22 PM

Question Flowmaster or???

OK i was wondering why it seems like people don't like flowmaster? Does anyone have any dyno information on what a flowmaster cat-back did for say a stock Z28(LT1). It seems like flowmaster is pretty cheap, i think people think they suck because they are cheaper then borla. Well i don't want to start a war... well maybe i do, but i just was wondering. Because when i get a camaro i might get flowmaster because i know i will be able to afford it, and it would be better then nothing. Thanks guys
Old 03-29-2006, 12:04 AM

Re: Flowmaster or???

I got a flowmaster and my overall view is positive. The exhaust sounds really good at idle and WOT. The only complaint I have is the "popping" when I lift, but I hear all exhaust do that to some extent. Like you said, it must be better than the stock exhaust.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:08 AM

I've got a flowmaster 40 series and I love it. I don't know about dynos compared to other aftermarkets, although the gains would be minimal, nothing "in your seat". I have that popping noise when I come down off of high rpms, say in 1st gear. I think it actually sounds pretty badass, combined with the rumble of the exhaust and the roaring of the engine.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 AM

I've always loved Flowmaster, but it seems that most people here don't like them. My '96 S10 had a Flowmaster and my '72 C-10 had headers with true-dual Flows and i loved them both. That '72 would set car alarms off, it was pretty bad ***. I've never seen anything to prove they flow poorly, but i'd be interested to see it.

As far as the popping, i love that sound. My Z28 has the stock exhaust and it does it.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:31 AM

"i think people think they suck because they are cheaper then borla"

actually...there are not many people on the board that like borla either. basically an overpriced cutout. only nice thing is the stainless construction.

the "proof" of the restictiveness of the flowmaster is typically proven in the gains associated with a cutout. i've seen quite a few dyno graphs that people have posted over the years of 10-15hp being gained by opening a C/O on a flowmaster, while some of the better exhausts only yield 5hp. the guy that owned my magnaflow setup before me said he gained 4rwhp with the cutout.

for sound, flowmaster is hard to beat
for performance...it's easy to beat
for price...it's easy to beat

low priced, good performing exhausts include TSP rumber, hooker, SLP loudmouth, magnaflow
Old 03-29-2006, 09:29 AM

I have a Flowmaster 40 series on my car. It made 240rwhp and 280rwtq with the cutout closed, then I installed headers and opened the cutout and dynoed 275rwhp and 322rwtq before the tune, and 285rwhp and 330rwtq afer the tune. So unless the headers added 35 rwhp, which they probably made about 25 of it, so Im guess I get an extra 10rwhp when I open up my cutout. But for sound my 40 series is great even with the cutout closed, its great for on a daily driver. My mom also has a 40 series on her '95 z which is her daily driver and she loves it.

I wish I had a dyno sheet with th same mods and the cutout open and cutout closed, to explain all this better.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:51 AM

i've got the flowmaster 80 series on my 3.8L V6 and it sounds a lot better then the stock. some people think i've got the z28.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:09 PM

Flowmaster does make a very good exhaust, if you are looking to compare though and see what else is on the market, Hooker, Edelbrock, and Magnaflow all make catbacks that are priced the same as the Flowmaster.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:45 PM

Question Re: Flowmaster or???

So.... flowmaster isn't too bad... how about the SLP loudmouth how nice does that sound and what about some of the other catbacks did anyone hear any and like them alot? I mean i see alot that a priced around flowmaster but is there any that sounds better? Thanks alot so far
Old 03-29-2006, 08:24 PM

SLP loudmouth sounds B@D@$$!! with a stock front exhaust. for the price, it is great sounding, and puts out power. but if you delete the cat(s) and get headers and stuff it sounds (in fear of sounding like a whimp) TOO loud. it just doesnt have a note, sounds loud, not good. so after my LT and off-road y-pipe install, i decided to buy a flowmaster to replace my SLP. i LOVE the way it sounds! and i still have way more power than i did before the headers. even so, power is really not a huge factor on a stock car when buying a cat back exhaust. exhaust is bought for stock cars just for sound. MOSTLY.
IMO: SLP if ya like it loud, and arent planning on headers or cat delete and flowmaster if ya want a good sounding exhaust with potential to sound better for a great price. $250?? cant beat it.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:48 PM

"Sigh" I must be a really old man. I just put the stock setup back on my Z last week. A few years of a LoudMouth and or a chambered muffler was enough for me I find now without the loudness, I drive much faster and pull alot harder through the gears. No more worries about the cops etc. The cars actually fun to drive again.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:05 PM

I love my flowmaster. I could actually notice alittle not much but alittle bit more power...about maybe 7 horses.

But if you really want a great sound and good power gain. Cut off the cat..put a glasspack in place of it and then a flowmaster catback. I have set off car alarms with it...and it's not really that loud at idle. Plus it has that old muscle car sound to it...like it should have a carburator.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:13 PM

I have borla on mine(previous owner put it on, I personally would go with an electric cutout on the stock catback if this wasn't already on there). It sounds really good, but yea for the most part, it is kind of like an expensive cutout. The tips are sweet. And stainless is nice, plus being able to put in plates that allow it to go from, quiet, semi quiet, loud, to ultra loud, is pretty nice. But I think it costs like 600-800 dollars. I would just get an e cut out, like 300 bucks installed, and you can go from stock to setting off car alarms at the flip of a switch and back again.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:27 PM

Best exhaust I have ever heard though was the GMMG chambered...
Old 03-30-2006, 12:22 AM

I wouldn't trade my GMMG for anything. Especially now that I've got headers... Wow.

2nd choice for me would be the SLP Loudmouth. I hear the TSP Rumbler is good too.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster or???