General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Fixing Window Motors Without Replacment!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 05:20 PM

Talking

I finally did this mod today, and sure enough it worked. Window goes up like new! wasn't all that hard, just pop open the motor, break off the one connecter, scrape the black plastic back, and soder that connection.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:33 PM

glad you brought this up. I was about to replace my passenger window. I completely forgot about this post. Might save me a few bucks
Old 03-22-2004, 04:58 AM

Has anyone experienced problem with this fix?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:23 AM

you could put an automatic fuse on the power line to the motor and check which ampere rating would work best, so that you know that it at leasts shuts off sometime..just a thought.
I'll try this on my driver side motor, I kept my replaced one from the pass side, it's now torn apart, and my driver side is now slowly going so I think I'll try this and see if it works...
Old 03-22-2004, 01:03 PM

Good idea on the fuse. I'm going to give it a try myself. What do I have to lose?
Old 08-23-2004, 04:50 PM
eej

Re: Fixing Window Motors Without Replacment!

Well it's been over a year since the original fix......and still working. NO problems to speak off.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by eej
Well it's been over a year since the original fix......and still working. NO problems to speak off.
I did this to an old window motor i had lying around. When testing it on the battery it worked 100% ok. Still have not installed it in the car though.
When I took the motor apart i cleaned up the greasy crap inside and relubricated using white lithium grease.
Does anyone know if using white lithium grease is OK for these motors? Like I said.. my initial tests showed it worked ok...
Old 08-23-2004, 07:02 PM

IMO, the lithium grease should be ok.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:57 PM

Shoebox,

I think it would be really helpful if you added this to your site.
Surely you got some old motors laying around (I think we all do. )
that you could use for some pics and a how-to.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Built on Sin
Shoebox,

I think it would be really helpful if you added this to your site.
Surely you got some old motors laying around (I think we all do. )
that you could use for some pics and a how-to.
Then people would say I stole their idea. I read about people doing this many years ago. All you really need to do is solder a piece of wire on top of the limiter. I don't see that it is necessary to remove anything. Electricity will take the path of least resistance and bypass the limiter.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Then people would say I stole their idea. I read about people doing this many years ago. All you really need to do is solder a piece of wire on top of the limiter. I don't see that it is necessary to remove anything. Electricity will take the path of least resistance and bypass the limiter.
Well after doing it myself I found that it was really quite easy taking the limiter strip out and for the avg joe who cant really solder much at all it makes it a whole lot easier to do.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by eej
Like info that was given on another thread about putting in relays for the window motors, how about giving some e.t.'s on rolling up and down? That will give some perspective on what the mod does for window speed.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:10 PM
eej

I would give et's if i had a motor that was acting up.

However when i fixed it it would take me MINUTES to get the window to roll up. It would roll up 2 inches then i'd have to wait for a minute then 2 more inches then wait another minute.....and on and on. It's one thing to want your window to go faster. I just wanted mine to roll up!

Now it just takes seconds. If anyone want's to put it on their website it's fine with me if they want to use the pictures. I don't hold the patent on this fix LOL. Just a bit of common sense and a tiny bit of electrical know how. LOL. If we didn't share ideas then this forum wouldn't exist.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:38 PM

I was just thinking about this thread couple weeks ago, b/c my passenger side window is starting to get slower, not bad yet, but enough for me to notice. my driver side too is slowing down and its barely a year old. when they get slow enough I'll try this mod.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by eej
I would give et's if i had a motor that was acting up.

However when i fixed it it would take me MINUTES to get the window to roll up. It would roll up 2 inches then i'd have to wait for a minute then 2 more inches then wait another minute.....and on and on. It's one thing to want your window to go faster. I just wanted mine to roll up!

Now it just takes seconds. If anyone want's to put it on their website it's fine with me if they want to use the pictures. I don't hold the patent on this fix LOL. Just a bit of common sense and a tiny bit of electrical know how. LOL. If we didn't share ideas then this forum wouldn't exist.

I was looking for how long it takes now.

Quick Reply: Fixing Window Motors Without Replacment!