General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

f-bodies handle like crap

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 11:22 PM

Re: f-bodies handle like crap

lol this is great. when one gets owned one turns to interior bashing to make ones foot in the mouth taste a little less bland.

some great quotes:

"oh it only won by 2.3 seconds"
"the track has too many straights, it suits the camaro too much"
"on a real curvy course, like those ones in japan that have more curves than straights, the camaro would probably lose"
"the track is two quarter mile tests with a curve"
"how can the camaro win when it has the worst slalom time?"
"if it was so good why did the editors pick it last?"

then he goes on to say the interior in the camaro is absolutely horrid. then tells me my interior is very bad. I dont have a problem with my interior. it does its intended purpose well. everything is within reach, the seat is comfortable, everything is clearly visible. since when did interior design have a direct relation to how fast a car goes around a track?

god I almost feel like making my car a corner carver instead of a drag car to prove some people wrong.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zigroid
god I almost feel like making my car a corner carver instead of a drag car to prove some people wrong.
This is actually what I am trying to do. Not an all out corner hugger, but enough so that "2.3 second" gap is a little bigger. I seriously think chevy did everything right. If you take any import that is the same year as my year, or any other year of 3rd/4th gen for that matter, and corner, we'll see who can take that corner faster and harder. I don't like it when people compare a 2005 mustang or RX8 against a camaro. They've had three years, of course it will be better.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:26 PM

A guy on the Supra forums had a turbo MKIV that he took to a track meet for the first time [I think it was Sears Point before it turned into Infinion]. He let one of the instructors drive his Supra after he lapped it a couple of times. The instructor of course went around the turns faster then he did. The instructor also told him that a stock Miata runs the same times around that track as a stock MKIV TT.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:44 PM

As long as you have subframe's installed and have good tires - the F bodies handles as good as any other car.

Dropping the car a few inches wouldn't hurt either.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:04 PM

on 4th gens subframes don't do a lot at all.

You're best off getting some revalved bilsteins made for the stock spring weight and a thicker front sway bar and you're good.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:16 AM

[QUOTE=flatlander757]on 4th gens subframes don't do a lot at all.QUOTE]

Yeah, everyone knows that bodyroll is great for handling.

MY subframes have made a great increase in the handling of my vehicle.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:08 PM

They were needed on 3rd gens.

The 4th gen was designed with being a convertible in mind, so unless you have a vert it's already overbuilt.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...&highlight=SFC

Sam Strano, 2 time National Auto-x Champion does NOT use SFCs...

The shocks are what make the difference.

Yes, SFCs will help poor handling. If you've got ****ty shocks.

You'll be better off just buying a set of great shocks in the first place.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by flatlander757
You'll be better off just buying a set of great shocks in the first place.
I agree 4th gens are strong enough, and unless you are making 1000+ horsepower, subframes will not make a big difference. When people say they could actually feel the subframes make a difference, I think it is more physcological than physical.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:29 PM
nfa

I love it when import guys tell me you might beat me in the straights, but I'd murder you in the curves. My response is : "Really? Im at the track at least once a month... come out w/ your econo box and see how well you fare..."

Here's a vid my friend's Dinan supercharged M3 roadster who had to wave me by for holding my 12 yr old fbody with minor suspension mods up:

http://videos.camaroz28.com/Player.a...D90&kw=103&p=0
Old 01-25-2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by MyShibbyZ28
I agree 4th gens are strong enough, and unless you are making 1000+ horsepower, subframes will not make a big difference. When people say they could actually feel the subframes make a difference, I think it is more physcological than physical.
They make not make a difference at the relatively low speeds of an autocross, but try going around a corner at 150 mph. I pre-ran the Gold Rush race a few years ago and was wide open the whole way with the mods I listed in my previous post.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by MyShibbyZ28
Have you ever had subframe connectors? I thought they'd be useless but my buddy got them and it made a huge difference, so i got a set too and i love them.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:05 PM

For raw performance and absolute track times, the f-bodies are very competitive.. Just look at SCCA T2... And thats with a restrictor plate on the LS1's.

They might not be refined, or give as good feedback as other more expensive and fancier cars.. but with a good driver and some tweaks, they'll ring out great lap times.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Have you ever had subframe connectors? I thought they'd be useless but my buddy got them and it made a huge difference, so i got a set too and i love them.
I drove with a buddy who has them and I did not feel any difference at all. His car was tight, but also he has shocks, springs, phr. He also has 3.42 and I did feel a difference there, but not a huge one like everyone says. I don't know, maybe I'm just not as sensitive to the changes as everyone else.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:53 PM

i'm only 18 and i haven't driven many cars. a chevy venture, a ZR2, F-250, and a buick regal are the only cars that come to mind. but i can definately tell a difference after i driven my car. today i drove a buick lesabre for the first time. i was backing out and i was amazed at how loose the steering was.

overall the car seems to handle nice and i have yet to have any problems with the RWD. snow is a breeze, but ice. well let's just say if there's been an ice storm and the roads are like giant popsicles, i won't be driving.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:13 PM

I too have only driven a few cars, a tempo, a monte carlo z34, and a neon. Even though its not saying much, my Trans Am would out handle them all by far. I would even put it on par in the handling department as my friends 3000gt VR-4.

Quick Reply: f-bodies handle like crap