General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

f-bodies handle like crap

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:39 PM

f-bodies handle like crap

why does everyone think this?
I have been blessed with friends who are part of the intelectually elite crowd who thinks that american cars are slow, gay, and will explode seconds after the warranty expires. I get in constant arguments on why my car doesnt suck.

most recent was that "F-bodies dont handle well at all"

this is coming from someone who has NEVER DRIVEN ONE. they always pull up skidpad numbers and slalom times.

"the integra type r runs 3 mph faster in the slalom!"

it gets real old.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:42 PM

Re: f-bodies handle like crap

It's because they're igganint
Old 01-21-2006, 11:47 PM

because they wis they where as cool as us to have a f body
Old 01-21-2006, 11:52 PM

It's not the car, it's the driver. As Carrol Shelby once said, it's 90% driver, 10% car.

Let's see your friends in a Type-R against a professional driver in a stock SS/WS6 on a real track [not an auto-x] and see who wins.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:55 PM

oh I got a good one... they cited my car as an example. mine isnt a WS6 it doesnt have the handling package. it has 135,000 mile 12 year old shocks and suspension components. when I turn hard the wide 315s on the back rub a little so I try not to really push it hard. also in fear that something may happen since I can only do this on public roads.
I feel my car handles well for what it is. it won't set records but I would feel comfortable, provided it had new suspension thrown on it, thrashing it around the track.

theyre just all REALLY stuck on magazine numbers and weight. if a car weighs over 2800 lbs its immediately a huge pig and therefor can NEVER handle well.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:59 PM

Everyone thinks that because only about 10% of the population knows what the hell is going on. Everyone else thinks all imports are made better, run forever, out handle domestics, and are trendy.

When your on the top of the food chain you get alot of critizism. I hear the same things from import folks about AWD, handling, turbo's and whatever else. But when it comes time to drive somewhere, the same import a-holes want to ride in my car

Vettes are over 2800lbs and they handle great. GTO's are damn heavy but you see alot of them being AutoX'ed. People like that are just like the people who write the magazine articles. Narrow minded retards.

-Dustin-
Old 01-22-2006, 12:25 AM

Thats because they have no idea what they're talking about. Next time they bring that ignorant statement up, tell them to go see the results of the 2005 solo 2 nationals. The fastest car in D stock which was a BMW 330 would place 23rd in F stock, which is where the f-bodies run. The fastest type r would have been 25th in F stock. These are national level drivers which should elimimate the "it's not the car , it's the driver" factor. And this is on an autocross course where the smaller lighter cars are supposed to have an advantage. Now on an open road course where f bodies can really utilize the horsepower advantage, bye bye type r.....
Old 01-22-2006, 12:31 AM

lol the argument gets better. I tried to show him a video of a supercharged vette running through southern california's ocean front canyons. he goes and says that the NSX is a better car because its rarer and sounds much better. I know sound is a personal preference. I guess NSXs run the same nurburgring time as the C5 Z06s? I didnt know this and I dont really care enough to try and look it up. after that I got the speech about "15 year old tech can keep up with what the best american cars are putting out right now."

some of this is crazy.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:38 AM

I just had to have an argument with some local import people because they were convinced 4th gen f-bodies had leaf springs...

wtf...
Old 01-22-2006, 12:40 AM

Sounds like these people arent even worth the time. Next time one opens his mouth, insert the toe of your boot firmly into his groin. Then yell "American Muscle Biii-Cheezzzess!"

-Dustin-
Old 01-22-2006, 12:52 AM

after that I got the speech about "15 year old tech can keep up with what the best american cars are putting out right now."
Give them a speech about how 60 year old tech solid axles are smoking their almighty, high tech, ultimate in cornering type r.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:04 AM

oh now I know why foreign cars are better, top gear likes them better.

damnit I hate having arguments alone! at least theyre not all here. my 3 good friends all have:
94 3000GT
93 MR2 turbo
mid 90s integra

not to mention I always have to correct most of the girls I know that my car is NOT a corvette because it has flip up headlights.

Im the only one with something american! i need reinforcements. not to mention I always get hell because my car isnt running right now (has to do with the torque converter and has absolutely nothing to do with it being american.)

interesting story:
my buddy with the MR2 did alot of work to it. it was originally an NA car and he swapped a 93 turbo engine into it. then he put a manual boost controller set at 15 lbs, an air intake, and a straight pipe after the turbo. it feels pretty peppy. they were convinced that when we went to the drags it would be a close race between my 383 (which was running like hell.) we got lined up, he beat me on the r/t by less than 1/10th of a second but other than that it was all over. my car hooked better, shot out of the hole, still did its dying thing on the top end but still recorded a 12.6 @ 109.7 to his 13.8 @ 99. yup. 1.2 seconds and 10 mph is pretty close.

my 1968 bonneville with absolutely nothing done will also beat the integra

Last edited by Zigroid; 01-22-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:40 AM

I've said it before on here and i'll go on record saying it again. This coming from a guy who has cars from both worlds, a 1990 Acura Integra and a 2000 Z28. There is little short of a full on race-prep tear down of my Integra to put it on par with my Z28 in it's stock form!

An Integra getting 200whp N/A, without boost or nitrous, is considered to be an extreme build up. An Integra getting 300whp w/boost or nitrous is on the verge of being outragous and approaches non-daily driver status. For the Z28, we all know, 300whp is just getting started and the sky's the limit from there!

I'm convinced at this point after having dealings with some import guys that they typically don't know sh*t about what they're talking about.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:16 AM

Stock, F-Bodies aren't the best handling cars but they also don't suck. However, my '97 WS6 had Hotchkis springs, a BMR panhard and LCA's, KYB AGX shocks, an SLP sturut tower bar, BMR torque arm, KB DD subframes, poly tranny and sway bar mounts, Brembo 14" 4-piston brakes and Firehawk SZ50 275/40-17 tires and I'd put it up against any exotic on the road.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:35 AM

i will tell you this,i really did not care for the suspension set up for my 4th gens in stock form!with mods hell yeah,bring it on..now if they want to get specific we can go back to the ol reliable 3rd gen from the factory an iroc or a T/A will represent from the factory suspension!they can read all they want but the proof of the pudding is they could not hang!the 3rd gen T/A and the IROC are the BEST cornering f-bodies ever created!bring on that wanna be a sports car integra gsrxtyperbucketojapbolts!

Quick Reply: f-bodies handle like crap