General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Electric Fuel Pump and Horn

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:48 AM

Electric Fuel Pump and Horn

Hey Members,
My fuel pump primes when I press my horn button. There
must be some wire married to the horn circuitry in the harness. My idle will
also increase slightly when the horn is pressed. Where do I start?
Old 12-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Re: Electric Fuel Pump and Horn

If the car is running when you do this, what leads you to believe the fuel pump is priming? It would already be running.

Or does the priming only happen with the key in the "off" position? ..... or with the key in the "run" position but the engine not running?

There are separate fuses for the fuel pump relay and (fuse #5) the horn (fuse #11). Possibly a short to ground on the horn button circuit.

And.... since the above is based on the factory F-Body wiring, there is absolutely no way for anyone to trouble shoot the issue with the engine transplanted into a street rod, without the wiring diagram.

Last edited by Injuneer; 12-27-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If the car is running when you do this, what leads you to believe the fuel pump is priming? It would already be running.

Or does the priming only happen with the key in the "off" position? ..... or with the key in the "run" position but the engine not running?

There are separate fuses for the fuel pump relay and (fuse #5) the horn (fuse #11). Possibly a short to ground on the horn button circuit.

And.... since the above is based on the factory F-Body wiring, there is absolutely no way for anyone to trouble shoot the issue with the engine transplanted into a street rod, without the wiring diagram.
This happens when key is in run position, engine not running.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Administrator

And it's custom harness...... correct?

Did you get any kind of wiring diagram with it? Or did you just buy the car with all this already installed and running?

Does the horn blow when you press the button? Has this been a problem since you got the car (or built it)? Or is this something that just happened recently?
Old 12-27-2015, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
And it's custom harness...... correct?

Did you get any kind of wiring diagram with it? Or did you just buy the car with all this already installed and running?

Does the horn blow when you press the button? Has this been a problem since you got the car (or built it)? Or is this something that just happened recently?
This is the previous owner harness. I have tried to contact him with no success so I guess it's my problem now. Here is what I have since day one.
With car idling , if I press the horn the engine idle goes up about
500rpm.
If the ignition is just in the on position, you hear the fuel pump prime and
shut off. Leaving the key in the on position, if you press the horn you will hear the pump prime again. Anytime you press the horn button this will
occur with the key on. I pulled the horn button out and the wiring is correct. I also checked the fuel pump relay wiring. There are 4 wires
Orange= 12 volt direct to Bat.
Grey = to fuel pump
Black with white stripe = to pcm plug
Green with white stripe = to pcm plug