General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Don't see many 4th gens around...especially V-8's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
FYI: General F-Body Tech & Info
All the forums in this sect. are Technical. Therefore the Tech in the heading.
General F-Body Literally means the Body of the car not general discusion about F-Bodies. i.e. How do I fix the wipers, or how do I fix the windows,etc.
Could be the Board needs a General F-Body Discusion area. And an off topic area.
Two bulls were standing on top of a hill,one was a young bull,the other bull was an older one,and they were looking down the pasture at about 12 heffers.They young bull says to the older bull,lets run down there and get us one of them heffers,and, the older bull says,let's walk down.and get all of them.What does this have to do with this thread?I dunno,but sometimes,you gota let things slide.Hope this helps.I could really use some new wipers,and I just don't know what kind to buy,any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 AM

I see maybe one or two LS1 Firebirds a month... Probably about one a week of any other 4th gen. SS fourth gens are very rare, and I've only seen a handful of WS6's in my city, ever. I hear they are a lot more common in the states though. Up where I live, fourth gens are only for people who can afford the insurance, gas, storage, and second vehicle that come along with it.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Don't forget that they never really made alot of these cars, especially so for the V8 cars. This is relatively speaking in terms of typical car manufacturing volume. When they were still being made, I remember a lot of people saying they didn't like the f-body because they were difficult to easily see out of especially looking rearward when backing up and manuevering.

I usually see Z28s, the LS1 WS6 and and occasional LS1 SS. I see less of the LT1 SS and I never see the LT1 WS6, except for mine

Name:  IMG_0003comp-1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  131.1 KB

Warren
Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 PM

man, im from kansas, and theres quite a few LT1s and LS1s around here.

So much, that just having bolt ons wasnt enough for me cause everybody else has them too, so i had to build my own turbo kit.

Really dont see many supercharged or turbo'd LT1s or LS1s
Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 PM

I got a `997SS. Lots of mods and D1 blown 383 Lt1. I'm an old guy 60's child. Can't do any thing about that. Tech stuff don't scare me. It's a monster corner carver M6. I agree, most people out there don't like the 4th gen, but, I don't care what they think. I like mine, it's all I got. I like to wrench and fab on it. Lots of ricers look at it and ask me questions. Body looks stock, but, it does not sound or run stock. Thanx camaroz28. You keep me moddin. B.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 PM

you guys are lucky, over here in los angeles, all u see is the 4 gen,guys with the big ugly rims, and custom (ugly) two tone paint jobs, with butterfly doors

I wish i could see a old man pull up next to me in a fourth gen with a lopey cam.........

ps. to many mustang boys in los angeles california......
Old 06-03-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by SNOTGREEN
I guess I'm hoping that the youth of today picks up on the same principles and fundamentals that makes most fbody enthusiasts happy - real wheel driven performance at half the price of a corvette.

You can only look at so many neons and lancers before becoming very discouraged at what the auto makers are producing. There's even a commercial now from Honda making a big issue about a passport getting 23mpg highway. WTF? it's a Honda, shouldn't it get better gas mileage than my fbody? Corporate B.S.!
I guess i can be considered a young guy... not quite youth anymore but still young (only 21) and ive been into car very much my whole life. Love racing goin fast it just feels right when you are sideways all the way around a j turn or u turn under a bridge or wherever. simply playing with the gas to keep it where u want it while everyone just stares. I love my early 4th gen its the second i have owned now.
I had a prelude for a little bit that was pretty quick (no V-8) but it was so boring to drive i couldnt get it sideways all it did was spin the front tires. i personally think a rear wheel drive vehicle has better weight transfer when drag racing plus with RWD the corners are so much more fun!

and X2 on the gas miledge.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
What a sweet set up.I keep going back and looking at that picture.Really nice.

Thanks for the compliment! I have been working on this car for 6 years. This motor actually came together after I installed a 416 crate shortblock from somewhere else last year. The shortblock had trash in it, the brand new Patriot heads warped, and the valves lost their seal. Took it out got it fixed and then sold it! My son and I put this one together, and I just about spent all my savings doing it. But I meant that this one was going to be done right!

Still have more to do, but I will probably never get it totaly finished.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:29 AM

theyre all over the place here. the v8's are hardly outnumbered by the v6's, too.

maybe its because i live on a military installation and we're all just a bunch of kids who like fast toys?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:52 AM

Lots of stock 4th gens where I live, sadly though I haven't come across a faster lt1 than mine up here.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by lt11997
Lots of stock 4th gens where I live, sadly though I haven't come across a faster lt1 than mine up here.
Well......................isn't that good?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Re: Don't see many 4th gens around...especially V-8's?

[QUOTE=deeavi;5403958]I am also an older guy and Here is a picture of mine with the 427 I just built. Alot of Blood, Sweat, and Tears, and Money in this one. There are a good many gen 4 f-bodies in my area.

Couple years later:

Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by deeavi

Couple years later:

Please post more pics!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Please post more pics!
This has been a work in progress for 10 years. Still have a ways to go. Here You go!

Older Picture with 20" Foose Wheels:

Name:  Car01.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  1.30 MB

Name:  IMG_0746.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  3.21 MB

Newer Pictures with 18" Boyds:

Name:  Home1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  602.3 KB

Name:  Camaro-4.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  1.27 MB

All my stuff here: Pictures by Deeavi - Photobucket
Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

Good choice on moving to the 18" wheels. Looks much more fitting. Awesome ride!

Quick Reply: Don't see many 4th gens around...especially V-8's?