General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Don't see many 4th gens around...especially V-8's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

I live in a town of about 20,000 people, but it's crammed into a metro area with about 300,000 people, and the lines are blurred, so it's hard to know who's from where.

I have a V8 4th gen. There are a handful around here... maybe 20. A couple modded, but most of them stock. Some LT1s, some LS1s. Mostly driven by young guys.

There are hundreds of V6 4th gens driving around here. I see them all the time.

I am, however, seemingly the only 4th gen enthusiast around here. All of the other car enthusiasts, if you can call them that, are ricers.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:04 PM

same here^^^^
Old 05-31-2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Location of threads like these are sort of a gray area sometimes. This one is okay here, since this particular forum is for general f-body discussion and doesn't have to be 100% tech. At least not in this one. It could have gone either way, but I think the Lounge is better for posts about other cars, etc.
Thanks Jason...I'll work on my forum etiquette

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I kinda agree that I'm seeing fewer and fewer NICE 4th Gens., maybe that's why I'm getting the same compliments on my car.

Last year when I bought my 97 Z28, folks were saying paying more than 5-6k was too much, but I wanted a clean, low miles, stock car so I paid a little more. Now clean, low miles cars are easily running 9-10k in my area (Grand Rapids). If anything, LS1's are coming down to LT1 prices.

Yep, that's me to the T! LOL!

My car is pretty much stock in appearance, except for dual tips and clear corners. At first I was going to mod the hell out of it, interior and exterior, e.g., new seats, stripes, berger, blah, blah, blah, but now I'm thinking about putting the stock tips back. And while I appreciate a well modded car, a lot of the ones I've seen were IMO butchered.

Here's a pic of my car last summer next to a LS1.

This lot wanted 12k for it, and it was trashed - fenders out of alignment, aluminum HVAC *****, missing badges, etc. But I will admit, even with a little engine tick, the LS1 was smoooooth. (By the way, it's still on the lot.)
A friend of mine (and huge firebird fan) told me a few years ago he thought the 4th gens would start becoming collectibles because of their classic lines, performance, and rarity. I didn't believe him but it looks like maybe he was right. I still can't believe those guys want 12 grand for that camaro tho
And 9-10 grand for clean low mile cars? wow. If thats not a collectible I don't know what is
Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by fxgs
Well, I'm an old guy () and mine's not exactly stock.
Well I wasn't saying all old guys drive stock cars, just the ones out here. But its great to see guys of all ages enjoying their muscle cars .
Old 05-31-2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Green96Z
Well I wasn't saying all old guys drive stock cars, just the ones out here. But its great to see guys of all ages enjoying their muscle cars .
mostly old guys round here

cept for the guy with 3 vettes across the street a 466 RWHP 74 vette, 96 vette GS with a motor swap (something much more powerful than the stock LT4 i forget what he said it was) the his 93-96 vette that needs some front end parts, he has a road runner hiding somewhere and his daily is a harley davidson F-150.
He is old but he has some toys that will put most other street cars to shame.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:36 PM

Old guy here.Don't see hardly any Z28's or Trans Ams(Formulas)anymore around.(Los Angeles).Guess they will have to fall into the exotic class(financing for 10 years instead of two or three years).(80's Ferrari's?).But isn't it neat when you pull into a gas station(with all the acoustics and everything there),and outshine every vehicle in the place.The rumble,the class,no other sound or look in the world,not even a vette(unless it's an older one).(they are so common here).(Nissan 350's are like pimples here,one on every block(poor mans porsche).Just an old man's view,but when I see an F-body in my rear view,I move over and let them go by,because I want to see it.I sometimes wonder if they are using NGK spark plugs or not.Are they really any good?(Already know the answer,but I want to keep this thread alive.).Well,it's beer time,so,gotta go.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
(Nissan 350's are like pimples here,one on every block(poor mans porsche).
Don't remember which magazine it was, but a few years back they did a comparison test and the 350Z beat a 911 carrera at the track. (was also faster than an M3).
And if a 350Z is a poor man's porsche, than what is an Fbod? A poor man's corvette?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:51 AM

Last fall I picked my daughter up at middle school. She's so-so into cars, mainly wants a Pontiac Solstice, like every other girl, when she gets her license (yeah, right - 95 Jeep Cherokee, have at it, hon.) Anyway, while she's walking to the car, we can hear one of her teammates say, "that is a cool car" referring to my Z28. I didn't think about it at the time, but most of the kids get picked up in minivans and SUV's. There are also a few BMW's and expensive foreign sedans, but I've never seen another Camaro at pickup time. Now it's, "can you pick me up in the Camaro instead of the Jeep?"
Old 06-01-2008, 11:39 PM

FYI: General F-Body Tech & Info
All the forums in this sect. are Technical. Therefore the Tech in the heading.
General F-Body Literally means the Body of the car not general discusion about F-Bodies. i.e. How do I fix the wipers, or how do I fix the windows,etc.
Could be the Board needs a General F-Body Discusion area. And an off topic area.

Last edited by Z28SORR; 06-01-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:43 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by wildweasel
Don't remember which magazine it was, but a few years back they did a comparison test and the 350Z beat a 911 carrera at the track. (was also faster than an M3).
And if a 350Z is a poor man's porsche, than what is an Fbod? A poor man's corvette?
Maybe right I dunno,but a Vette is a sports car to me,and an F-body is a hot rod.That's just me though.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by wildweasel
Ironically, I raced this past weekend again at MIR, and in my second round of eliminations, I was up against a 350Z sporting drag radials out back. My car was running off its normal times, and our dial-ins were identical (13.50). I won, but his mph was .6 quicker than mine. Kind of surprised me a bit, but they apparently run pretty good. He had some bolt ons as well, so I looked at it as a pretty decent match-up for the evening.

Funny thing about fbodies, I've owned 10, all 3rd and 4th gens (V8's and 2 V6's-one being an '89TTA), and almost always received compliments on every one of them. My oldest son is in 8th grade and recently attended his first dance at school. I drove him there in the '93, and I guess he wasn't that enthused to be going to it at first, but when I picked him up he had a big smile on his face, and all the kids that was hangin' with him commented on it, I guess I'm hoping that the youth of today picks up on the same principles and fundamentals that makes most fbody enthusiasts happy - real wheel driven performance at half the price of a corvette.

You can only look at so many neons and lancers before becoming very discouraged at what the auto makers are producing. There's even a commercial now from Honda making a big issue about a passport getting 23mpg highway. WTF? it's a Honda, shouldn't it get better gas mileage than my fbody? Corporate B.S.!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by fxgs
Well, I'm an old guy () and mine's not exactly stock.

I am also an older guy and Here is a picture of mine with the 427 I just built. Alot of Blood, Sweat, and Tears, and Money in this one. There are a good many gen 4 f-bodies in my area.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Uh oh, I've stirred up all the old car guys! Now this is what I wish I saw, pulling up next to a Camaro, hearing a lopey idle, and seeing a guy twice my age behind the wheel. THAT is what we need out here. I feel like I'm the only car guy out here.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by deeavi
I am also an older guy and Here is a picture of mine with the 427 I just built. Alot of Blood, Sweat, and Tears, and Money in this one. There are a good many gen 4 f-bodies in my area.

What a sweet set up.I keep going back and looking at that picture.Really nice.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Green96Z
Uh oh, I've stirred up all the old car guys! Now this is what I wish I saw, pulling up next to a Camaro, hearing a lopey idle, and seeing a guy twice my age behind the wheel. THAT is what we need out here. I feel like I'm the only car guy out here.
Might drive into Santa Clarita on any weekend.All the old guys dust off the rods,vettes,or what ever they have,and jump start them and drive them around.(not daily drivers I guess).

Quick Reply: Don't see many 4th gens around...especially V-8's?