General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Do 98+ Camaros have night detecting lights??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 08:20 PM

Question Do 98+ Camaros have night detecting lights??

I've noticed that my lights turn on automatically when it gets dark out, is this normal for all 98+'s? Or did someone mod it to be this way?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:23 PM

all 97+ do.
I disabled mine, didnt like them coming on as early as they did and not coming on in the rain, I kept the DRL's and prefer to turn on the headlights when I want.
(sometimes I like to drive with just parking/fog on)

If you want to get rid of them tell me and I'll tell you what I did, it took 5 min.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:30 PM

yeah its really easy to get rid of if ya want. the sensor is in the dash under the vent. just pull off that plastic piece that goes around the radio and hvac controlls. you reach in there and twist and pull or unclip (cant remember) he sensor. Pop the photocell chip out and replace with a small section of paper clip as a jumper where the two prongs went and replace everything. Your auto lights will be disabled.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:32 PM

No I actually like it. I forget to turn on my lights sometimes, its nice to have something do it for me lol...
Old 05-18-2004, 08:52 PM

It's not so bad on a Camaro, but my friend disabled it on his '96 Trans-Am because he didn't like that the hideaway headlights would flip open then closed again if he drove under a bridge or something like that.....I would find that really annoying.

I disabled it on my car too, 'cause sometimes at night if you're parked somewhere, you want to be able to shut the lights off without turning the car off, and I didn't like having a switch with an OFF position that I couldn't turn OFF?!?!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Capn Pete
It's not so bad on a Camaro, but my friend disabled it on his '96 Trans-Am because he didn't like that the hideaway headlights would flip open then closed again if he drove under a bridge or something like that.....I would find that really annoying.

I disabled it on my car too, 'cause sometimes at night if you're parked somewhere, you want to be able to shut the lights off without turning the car off, and I didn't like having a switch with an OFF position that I couldn't turn OFF?!?!
I know this might sound really dumb..but if i ever want to park somewhere and leave the car running, but not have the lights on..all you have to do is turn the car off..pull the emergency brake up one little click..than start the car. Your lights will not come on, until you push the parking brake down that little bit. Sometimes if i dont want my lights on yet, i'll do that before i start my car..Dont fully engage the P-brake or anything..just one little click just so the sensor thinks its engaged, and your lights wont come on at all. I dont know..works for me.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by NoSlowCamaro
I know this might sound really dumb..but if i ever want to park somewhere and leave the car running, but not have the lights on..all you have to do is turn the car off..pull the emergency brake up one little click..than start the car.
That's exactly my point!!!! That is friggin' retarded that you have to shut the car off to turn the lights off, so instead, I made the light switch operate as a light switch, with a functioning ON and OFF position!!! Otherwise, why even have a light switch?!

Besides, starting your car unnecessarily is only harder on the starter.....especially when the motor is hot.

Also, you can't drive around in "stealth mode" like that!!
Old 05-18-2004, 10:42 PM

Fortunately for the rest of us, only the Canadian Firebirds got the auto headlights. The USA versions had that feature deleted.

When I had the Camaro, I deleted it. I didn't like it for several reasons, one being that I couldn't drive with just the parking lights on at the track or at work. You ever had someone point a gun at you because you pulled up to the gate with your headlights on and they couldn't see you? It ain't fun.

My wife's Intrigue has the same feature, but Oldsmobile did it right. Even if the computer turns on the lights, when you flip the switch to just the parking lights, it turns off the headlights.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by Capn Pete
It's not so bad on a Camaro, but my friend disabled it on his '96 Trans-Am because he didn't like that the hideaway headlights would flip open then closed again if he drove under a bridge or something like that
Trans Ams have this too? Do the Firebirds have this b/c mine doesnt do this when it gets dark.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Skyhawk
Trans Ams have this too? Do the Firebirds have this b/c mine doesnt do this when it gets dark.
Only in Canada.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by rncotton
Fortunately for the rest of us, only the Canadian Firebirds got the auto headlights. The USA versions had that feature deleted.
Well theres my answer
Old 05-18-2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Skyhawk
Well theres my answer
I didn't know that either! Learn something new everyday!
Old 05-19-2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by rncotton
You ever had someone point a gun at you because you pulled up to the gate with your headlights on and they couldn't see you? It ain't fun.

what? a gun for lights?
Old 05-19-2004, 08:34 AM

my 94 Z28 has the auto headlights

Its a love hate relationship for me. I love that I neve rhave to worry about forgetting to turn my lights off when I leave the car, but I hate that there is no way to turn them off. They should have had off/auto/parking/headlights

I also worry about the sensor screwing up and my lights being on all of the time.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by coogsLS1
what? a gun for lights?
Yeah ... I work for Memphis Fire. Right after 9/11, we had some stuff to take care of on the Naval base here in Memphis. Their rule is to approach the gate with your headlights OFF. That way, the MPs don't lose their night vision and they can see into the car.

I was driving a 2001 Camaro with those damn headlights that you can't turn off. The MP was pissed that he couldn't see into the car as I pulled up and that he had lost his night vision. I was met with an M-16 ( ??? ) barrel sticking into my window while I was showing my ID.

I disabled the auto headlights the next day.

Quick Reply: Do 98+ Camaros have night detecting lights??