General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

DIY AC Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 10:32 AM

DIY AC Equipment

Hey guys,

I'm going to go buy a set of decent mainfold guages to check my system I recharged (thanks for your input to those that helped) last night. If you have any recommendations please let me know.

Can anyone recommend a vacuum pump?...I have an air compressor if that helps...I heard you can buy add-ons to your air comp...that would be cool...if it works...

Also, how can you flush AC if necessary? If my compressor is shot, I should flush the system but can you do this at home or is this for a shop to do.

Is DIY AC work really feasible for a weekend mechanic??? I spent $900 on my last compressor change and I really think I can do this myself. In the past I changed my compressor and drier myself but had a shop do the flush, vacuum, and recharge...and it WAS NOT CHEAP.

Oh, I live in Florida so AC is a must down here...being a car guy with a few older cars I think learning AC work can save me big bucks over the years.

So for those of you who have actually done AC work, what do you think?

Thanks for the help...
Old 07-10-2005, 10:50 AM

Re: DIY AC Equipment

decent guages, the air vacuum pumps do work, and they are lots cheaper(under $100) than the electric ones(over $400), you should get a can tap for the refrigerant cans as well
as for flushing, if the compressor died, you need to replace the compressor and reciever/drier, as well as the orifice tube(if equipted), I've used brake clean as the flushing solvent and it works fine

remove the above components (cannot flush them)
with the lines open spray in plenty of brake clean, then take a blow gun on your air line and blow the lines out til they are totally dry, remember, you will need to add 100% of the system oil amount back to the system, if replacing the compressor, some come with oil, some don't, look at the compressor packaging, the level and type (R134A usually uses PAG oil) should be on the label that specifies refrigerant level,
reconnect all lines, install new components(and all the new oil) vacuum(through guages w/all valves open) for at least 15 minutes(30+ is much better, and recommended), close the valves on the guages, turn off the vacuum, let it sit for 15 minumtes and see if the vacuum drops any, if it does, there is a leak, if not, you are good to go, connect the can tap to the yellow hose on the guage set, put a can in the tap, open the BLUE(low side) valve, start the car, let it suck the refrigerant in, place the can with a new one, and do this till you have the correct amount of refrigerant in the system(watch guages, compressor on, level should be around 30-40PSI on the low side, and 175-300PSIchanges with ambiant air temg and humidity, high temp/hum., high the psi) on the high side

you can get refrigerant cans with dye, or you can add dye when you put the oil in, plus there are many tools to add dye to a full system
Old 07-10-2005, 11:09 AM

If you want equipment that will last look into some robinair. They ARE expensive but they will last a long long time if you take care of them.

Just remember. When ever you have any can hooked to the middle line of the gauge set NEVER open the high side (red) valve. The cans WILL explode. the ONLY time that the high side valve should be open is under evac.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:42 AM

Dave that was awesome! Thanks! HBHRacing I learned a lot from some of your old posts...poking the A/C relay outputs with a test-light etc. You guys rule!

I'm in the middle of watching a $9 DVD that Autozone sells on AC work. It's really helpful and I'd recommend it to AC newbies. The dude went thru diagnosis, is replacing the compressor, accumulator and orifice tube and decided to replace the condensor and hoses due to stripped fittings. He's showing how to flush, add oil, use guages and everything. Supposedly autozone rents out decent guages and a flush mechanism you hook to your air compressor.

Thanks for your help...you guys rule! I owe you a couple of beers. I don't think I'm paying for AC work anymore! But we'll see after I finish this job ;-)
Old 07-10-2005, 02:03 PM

Ok, I did some digging...links for you other guys out there doing DIY.

Here's a cheap venturi vaccum pump from Robinair

Should work for me but here's a cheap traditional pump for $179...3 cfm

Vacuum Pump

Here's the Robinair Guages

Schrader valve tool with valve

I need this to pull my leaking valve core out...
Old 07-10-2005, 02:46 PM

once you do things a few times you will get the hang of it. If you always flush the system well, use the correct oil type and amount and follow the charge rates you are usualy fine. Just a few tips.

Always use new O rings and seals on any fitting or port that you touch. Before installing use a little compressor oil on the rings. Antisieze on threaded fittings makes later removal MUCH easier. Always install the drier last and leave it sealed untill your ready. Beware not to install any orifice tubes upside down (large screen always points twords the condensor)

just buy yourself a nice rubber tiped blow gun for flushing. Add brake cleaner and flush untill it's clean.

Last edited by HBHRacing; 07-10-2005 at 03:09 PM.