General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Disable automatic headlights (Resistor)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:14 AM

Disable automatic headlights (Resistor)

I bought a 100 ohm resistor. 1 watt, 5% tolerance. So far it is working. I can turn the headlights on and off. I'll test it better tomarrow night. Question is, will the resistor be safe? Any over heating problems and is the resistor I used strong enough? I dont have an electrical tester with me till Saturday, so I'm not sure if Im safe in the mean time. I have a 2002Camaro Z28/SS. Thanks for any input. I connected it where the light sensor goes.

Last edited by texas35; 11-20-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 PM

Are you talking about daytime running lights?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:32 PM

The headlights.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 PM

It has been awhile, but I'm pretty sure used the same resistor in my 01 silverado for the auto headlights, as I did to eliminate the skipshift on my 96 TA. I think it was a 2.2k 1/2 watt resistor if memory serves me right.

I dunno if its the same for f-body's though but its been 2 years plus and havent had no issues. Even put a switch in so i can easily put it back into auto mode.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:23 AM

1 watt should be fine.....this is the first mod i did to my 95 back when it was brand new.....best mod ever, LOL
Old 11-22-2007, 09:25 AM

You mean a resistor in place of the light sensor on the dash, to eliminate the auto headlight feature (on when it gets dark)???

..... that job just takes splicing the wires together ... no resistor needed!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
..... that job just takes splicing the wires together ... no resistor needed!!!
I've heard of countless others just tying the wires together and have not heard of any isssues but when I was doin this mod, I measured the resistance of the light sensor with full sun on it which would give you its lowest resistance reading, and it never went to zero so I felt it was "safer" to have some minimal resistance in the circuit. JMO
Old 11-22-2007, 12:38 PM

Sure, you can do that too!

I've had mine spliced together for over 5 years, and ~72k miles!! Never had a problem, and lots of people on the board here have done the same thing over the years, with no problems I've ever heard about .
Old 11-22-2007, 01:37 PM

Okay I'm curious, just what is it about Daytime Running Lights & Automatic Headlights that bothers you people SO MUCH that you have to go out of your way to disable them?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:34 AM

Mine are spliced together also, its been 3 years or so and still no fire I know there's another mod out there where you can have both your high beams and low beams on at the same time.....forgot where i read it though.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Maximum Bob
Okay I'm curious, just what is it about Daytime Running Lights & Automatic Headlights that bothers you people SO MUCH that you have to go out of your way to disable them?
I never bothered disabling DRLs, but the auto headlights? Tell me, WTF is the point of a light SWITCH, if the OFF position DOESN'T WORK???????

Most new vehicles now have an "auto" position on the light switch (if equipped with auto headlights) so you can have them ON, AUTO, or OFF whenever you want! That's how it should be. Don't worry, when it gets dark out, I know when and HOW to turn my lights on ... I don't need the car to do it for me .
Old 12-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4THGEN Z
I've heard of countless others just tying the wires together and have not heard of any isssues but when I was doin this mod, I measured the resistance of the light sensor with full sun on it which would give you its lowest resistance reading, and it never went to zero so I felt it was "safer" to have some minimal resistance in the circuit. JMO
Which two wires are spliced together?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:35 PM

The only time auto head lights were a problem for me (Suburban) was when launching a boat from a boat ramp early in the morning & you blind the next guy in line waiting to launch. Other than that, not big deal.

2 weeks ago I a rented a Taurus in Phoenix. When I pressed the remote lock the headlights came on but there was no auto head light feature. Strange & the car sucked (older model).
Old 12-03-2007, 03:53 PM

I find the auto headlights a royal PITA when waiting for the missus to run into the store or something for just a minute and the lights blinding you reflecting off the glass (and pi$$ing everyone inside off). I think that was a great mod removing them personally.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Turbozombie
Which two wires are spliced together?
The two that connect to the ambient light sensor.

Quick Reply: Disable automatic headlights (Resistor)