General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Did the window motor thermal bypass...OMG do they work better.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:20 AM

Re: Did the window motor thermal bypass...OMG do they work better.

Since this thread was brought back from the dead, I thought I would post this. I just bought some ACi window motors from AdvanceAuto (part number 82460 w/ lifetime warranty), and they are quite different when you pull off the cap:

As you can see, this appears quite a bit different than the photos posted previously in the thread.

For starters, you can remove the cap without having to deal with the commutator armature & brushes. Second, the thermal switch* seems completely different. I'm tempted to install this 'as-is' since the engineers may have fixed the "slow assed motor" problem, but this new design would at least simplify the thermal bypass mod -- it'd take 2 seconds to bypass it.

*-I'm assuming the orange piece in the cap is a thermal switch.

Last edited by Alex94TAGT; 07-28-2006 at 02:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
Since this thread was brought back from the dead, I thought I would post this. I just bought some ACi window motors from AdvanceAuto (part number 82460 w/ lifetime warranty), and they are quite different when you pull off the cap:

As you can see, this appears quite a bit different than the photos posted previously in the thread.

For starters, you can remove the cap without having to deal with the commutator armature & brushes. Second, the thermal switch* seems completely different. I'm tempted to install this 'as-is' since the engineers may have fixed the "slow assed motor" problem, but this new design would at least simplify the thermal bypass mod -- it'd take 2 seconds to bypass it.

*-I'm assuming the orange piece in the cap is a thermal switch.
That really would make it simple.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:59 PM

I just finished this, and saw no improvement. I soldered a heavy gage wire across the strip, and the motor works virtually the same. The downward motion is slow, but it is also working against the spring. The upward motion is working with the spring, and goes faster then down, but about the same speed as before. I also tried this with the motor out of the car, to see if the auto down feature was shut off by the thermal resistance thing. The motor keeps trying to roll down, no matter what. As long as the motor has power, it will roll down. I had the whole window assembly out. Crank, gears, spring, and all. So the auto down feature is here by confirmed that it is not shut off by the thermal resistor.

How ever, why did I not see the faster gains others have?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by MyShibbyZ28

Check your tracks and track adjustments. Grease up the slides and the rollers.
Verify that the switches are working correctly with an multimetter, check voltages.

Maybe the motor does have some damage.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Check your tracks and track adjustments. Grease up the slides and the rollers.
Verify that the switches are working correctly with an multimetter, check voltages.

Maybe the motor does have some damage.
I tested it outside the door, so there is nothing to lube up. The motor is getting around 12 volts from the switch.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:09 PM

I tested it outside the door, so there is nothing to lube up. The motor is getting around 12 volts from the switch.
The tracks do require lube. I used white lithium.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:03 PM

I just finished this, and saw no improvement. I soldered a heavy gage wire across the strip, and the motor works virtually the same. The downward motion is slow, but it is also working against the spring. The upward motion is working with the spring, and goes faster then down, but about the same speed as before. I also tried this with the motor out of the car, to see if the auto down feature was shut off by the thermal resistance thing. The motor keeps trying to roll down, no matter what. As long as the motor has power, it will roll down. I had the whole window assembly out. Crank, gears, spring, and all. So the auto down feature is here by confirmed that it is not shut off by the thermal resistor.

Perhaps your thermal limiter was just fine.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Perhaps your thermal limiter was just fine.
The window was slower than dirt moving up, and I thought it would give out on me any time. Maybe I got a fluke motor too, who knows.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:41 AM

The window was slower than dirt moving up, and I thought it would give out on me any time. Maybe I got a fluke motor too, who knows.
ha- well .. hate to say it- but the amazing difference i have with mine is still slow compared to most cars- id say takes a good 5 secs to go up still - but before it was taking near 10 -

maybe you just have high expectations
Old 07-31-2006, 07:41 AM

here are some more pics, a very easy and very rewarding mod! and auto-down still shuts off by itself somehow... i replaced the thermal resistor with speaker wire..

Old 07-31-2006, 02:11 PM

It appears that you are soldering a short in place of a suppression capacitor. Since the capacitor is across both brushes, it is unlikely that this motor will run as no current will be available for the armature.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by JohnD
It appears that you are soldering a short in place of a suppression capacitor. Since the capacitor is across both brushes, it is unlikely that this motor will run as no current will be available for the armature.
Im not convinced its a capacitor. It appears to be in-line from the source voltage tab and one side of the motor. Caps traditionally block DC voltage and pass AC voltage. If it were noise suppression it would connect to both the positive and negative sides of the motor.

Im not sure what it is, plus I dont like the new motor. It appears to be the normal motor found in cordless power tools.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:02 PM

My driver's motor really needs this mod! My pass window has always been slow but I've never tripped the thermal limiter. The driver's window wasn't bad, but all of a sudden, it won't go up on its own without stopping. I don't think I'll bother with relays, though I might (if convenient) measure the voltage at the motor while it's operating to see how much it would benefit from relays.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:41 PM

whatever it was, it works great now that it's gone
Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM

It is possible that the yellow part is a re-setable fuse. They are fairly new and would work better in this application than the copper strip. They contain a polymer that expands after a certain amount of current and effectively turns them off. Once the load is removed and they cool off, they turn back on. A motor drawing too much current (like one pulling a sticky window) would cause this to happen.

Quick Reply: Did the window motor thermal bypass...OMG do they work better.