General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Did some minor maintenance, now car won't start! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Did some minor maintenance, now car won't start! Please help!

Hey guys, so here are the details...

I took my car to the auto skills center to change my oil. Did that first, no biggie.

note; I disconnected my batteries before I changed the oil.

I then had to replace the plastic piece and wires that the turn signal lever connects to because my right blinker has been very sensitive. I started by removing a couple panels that go around the turning signal switch. No biggie, they just snapped out. I then removed the steering wheel column adjuster. After that, I took a phillips and removed my hazard signaler. Then the airbag, I disconnected the two wires behind that. I then disconnected my steering wheel, planning on the extra working room.

I lost track of time and the damn place announced they were closing in an hour. So I threw everything on really quickly and yes i DID connect the only two wires attached to the air bag that I disconnected earlier. I put the hazard switch back in, and plugged my batteries in. Then my hazard lights came on and wouldn't go off. ****. No biggie I thought, I'll just fix it at home. (I live right across the street.) So I went to turn my car over, and it made a weird electrical kind of click noise, and the car wouldn't turn over. It didn't even try to. So now I'm thinking WTF?!

I have no idea what could have caused this. I reconnected the only two wires I disconnected earlier. What's the problem here? So now my car is stuck at the auto skills center overnight while I try to plan on what I'm going to do in the morning.

Can you guys please help me out with any advice. I really need my car for transportation this week!

Again, thanks for any responses!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Re: Did some minor maintenance, now car won't start! Please help!

I would make sure everything is hooked back up correctly including the battery. Maybe a fuse was blown or something along that line. Sounds like when your battery is nearly dead and the only noise is from the solenoid.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 PM

Try leaving your door open so the interior light is on and then crank the engine over. Watch the interior lights, if they go really dim/dark u have a dead battery. Hence the clicking sound. If you have a multimeter then check the battery voltage.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Not enough "details" - need info about your car - year, model, engine, trans and any major mods. Impossible to provide accurate help without that info. Add a "Signature".
Old 09-30-2012, 02:28 AM

Alright thanks for the tips guys. I'll try this tomorrow morning. And sorry I'll add a sig now.