General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:25 PM

dead battery

Stupid question but I haven't ran my car probably like 3 months,i went to try to start it,it cranked over n over then then stop n lights on dashboard flickered,can a dead battery or low battery cause the fuel pump to not prime right n make the other components work properly to fire up? Bcuz fuel pump n everything else from spark plugs to ignition coil,module,distributor,injectors are new....

Then after the battery completely died,the security light stayed on the dash after u take it out. And the key attempt didn't do anything,no clicking from starter, no engine turning over,nothing.

Now this happened with the security light before when I was adjusting my rocker arms,i turn engine over,stopped adjusted and so forth,n security light came on. I left it alone n unplug battery n left it alone for 10 minutes,n worked again lol.

Sorry for long essay paragraph lol I have a new battery haven't put it in been working 12 hours days and 7 days a week. Thank u guys for any help

Last edited by 94Z28LS1toLT1; 10-08-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:16 PM

Re: dead battery

Low voltage can make all kinds of stuff go weird. Probably dead.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Administrator

What does the dash gauge indicate the voltage is, when you turn the key to "run"? .... when you turn the key to "start"?

Very low voltage screws up everything as Rob indicates - fuel pump, fuel injectors, PCM being the serious problems. If the voltage to the PCM drops low enough, it sets a code.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What does the dash gauge indicate the voltage is, when you turn the key to "run"? .... when you turn the key to "start"?

Very low voltage screws up everything as Rob indicates - fuel pump, fuel injectors, PCM being the serious problems. If the voltage to the PCM drops low enough, it sets a code.
Fred i think and I'm pretty sure that I need a new ignition switch,i put a new battery n no starting or cranking,all lights come on on dashboard,but when I take the key out the security light will stay on. I already unplug the battery and the fuse too nothing same thing,no turning over.

I remembered that the security light would randomly come on while I'm driving n that was scary. But after the camaro has been sitting too long the battery died so before when I tried to start it n the battery gave me issues,i think i must have triggered the security light when the car didn't wanna start.

I've never seen the security light stay on before
Old 10-14-2015, 08:54 PM

SQUOTE=94Z28LS1toLT1;6981343]Fred i think and I'm pretty sure that I need a new ignition switch,i put a new battery n no starting or cranking,all lights come on on dashboard,but when I take the key out the security light will stay on. I already unplug the battery and the fuse too nothing same thing,no turning over.

I remembered that the security light would randomly come on while I'm driving n that was scary. But after the camaro has been sitting too long the battery died so before when I tried to start it n the battery gave me issues,i think i must have triggered the security light when the car didn't wanna start.

I've never seen the security light stay on before[/QUOTE]

Nvm I managed to read some thing on shoebox website thank u Rob lol,n it cranks but it's not starting,distributor everything u can think of is changed,but I noticed the distributor wire harness is really dirty n greasey, n chewed up,I'll start from there
Old 10-16-2015, 05:41 PM

Um sorry to put this in i just got back from underneath the car n decided to get the distributor wires looked at to make sure they are in correctly n in firing order, followed the cylinder number 2 wire that wire is inserted in the distributor in #8. Can firing order being messed up in wrong order cause the car to just crank/rotate n not fire up? Before I brought the car in my firing order was perfect,n my car fired up so fast hot or cold
Old 10-20-2015, 09:29 AM

Guys anybody I checked for spark by unplugging one of the spark plug wires not attached a spark plug n my wife cranked it n I saw spark,n coil is good for spark too,i pressed the Schrader valve n it sprays great n fast.

And I'm still not getting it to start,what do you guys think of it being the ignition switch? I've always had issues with the security light randomly coming on while driving,n sometimes I have to wait bcuz the security light would stay on the dash and i have to wait for it to come off,to get an attempt to cranks it
Old 10-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Pressing the Schrader valve is not the correct way to test fuel pressure.

The security lights stays on if a component of the PASS-Key system fails during driving. The light staying on indicates it is in "fault enabled mode" and should allow the engine to start. The security light does not come on because the battery is weak.

When the system has trouble reading the key resistor, the security light will come on. That starts the three minute timer. While the timer is active, the key will not trip the starter realy, and the TDM will not send the signal to PCM that tells it to start the injectors. Another point related to fuel pressure - you can have great fuel pressure, but if the TDM doesn't send the signal to the PCM, the injectors don't work.

The ignition switches are a common problem with the age of these cars. Rob/Shoeobx also has some info on the ignition switch.

4th Gen F-body Ignition Switch Replacement

While this is a replacement procedure, the first paragraph discusses the symptoms and the problems.

This is a common problem with the switch:

Last edited by Injuneer; 10-21-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:20 PM

Pressing the Schrader valve is not the correct way to test fuel pressure.

The security lights stays on if a component of the PASS-Key system fails during driving. The light staying on indicates it is in "fault enabled mode" and should allow the engine to start. The security light does not come on because the battery is weak.

When the system has trouble reading the key resistor, the security light will come on. That starts the three minute timer. While the timer is active, the key will not trip the starter realy, and the TDM will not send the signal to PCM that tells it to start the injectors. Another point related to fuel pressure - you can have great fuel pressure, but if the TDM doesn't send the signal to the PCM, the injectors don't work.

The ignition switches are a common problem with the age of these cars. Rob/Shoeobx also has some info on the ignition switch.

4th Gen F-body Ignition Switch Replacement

While this is a replacement procedure, the first paragraph discusses the symptoms and the problems.

This is a common problem with the switch:

[img] http://shbox.com/ignsw/switch_conn2.jpg[img]
Hey Fred lol sorry um I was trying starter fluid n tried to start it up n there was a loud pop like it felt like it wanted to start, but there was a small fire on the throttle body. I was able to put it out.

I stopped using the starter fluid,but as I'm cranking the engine I keep hearing a poof poof from the throttle body area like sounds like air. Seems like I'm having a spark issue.

I think the mechanics shoved my distributor back in didn't set it right,bcuz before my camaro fired up perfectly n great,fast
Old 10-21-2015, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Yup, Opti not indexed correctly, or the plug wires in the wrong position.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Yup, Opti not indexed correctly, or the plug wires in the wrong position.
Thank u alot I'll get opti done,n I already fixed wires to order last week n no starting still,so I'll get opti adjusted,n may I get the diagram for the opti the position it's supposed to go in. I've seen one before on this site. Thank u again Fred
Old 10-22-2015, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by 94Z28LS1toLT1
Thank u alot I'll get opti done,n I already fixed wires to order last week n no starting still,so I'll get opti adjusted,n may I get the diagram for the opti the position it's supposed to go in. I've seen one before on this site. Thank u again Fred
Hope this is the right one.

Wish you had a signature. You've been here long enough to know it is important.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Hope this is the right one.

Wish you had a signature. You've been here long enough to know it is important.
oooops I'm sorry using my mobile phone it's a 94 lol
Old 11-01-2015, 01:57 PM

Omg thank you guys all for your help,Rob thank you for having the distributor pin line up picture n thank u Fred stating it is the distributor when I explained to you that what the cranking was doing. Now the camaro fires up n starts

I'm so freaking happy,yea the stupid mechanic was way off on the pin,probably shoved it in.