General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Dash Break Light Always On

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 PM

Dash Break Light Always On

So ever since i bought my 1994 V6 Camaro in October the break light on the dash has been on. Its a 5 speed so i obviously use the parking break a lot and its on whether its up or down. And yes i have tried every way to make sure that its completely disengaged. One of my friends is a mechanic and he says that one of the sensors are probably just be bad but i have another friend who says that he had the same thing on his ford pickup and it turns out that his was in fact always on and that it was one of the reasons he always got worse gas mileage was because the break was always trying to stop the wheels. how to find out what the problem is?

Another thing is that sometimes it wont come on untill i press in the breaks kind of hard like at a stop light then i see it come on but thats rare. I know that my break fluid is good because i had it inspected and told them about the light so i'm at a loss here.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Administrator

The "BRAKE" light on the dash has two functions:

1 - Tells you the E-brake is engaged.

2 - Tells you there is a pressure imbalance between the front and rear hydraulic braking circuits. There is a differential pressure switch on the side of the ABS motor.

You need to check for leaks in the brakes, air in the lines, low master cylinder, pressure bypass between front and rear pistons in the master cylinder.

Sometimes the "BRAKE" light differential pressure switch will stick, and a hard stop will sometimes free it. I'd look for leaks before I tried a hard stop, though.