General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Crankshaft Pulley/Power Steering Pulley wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 AM

Crankshaft Pulley/Power Steering Pulley wobble

So I am judging based on the slight wobble of the Power Steering Pulley and the more serious wobble of the Crankshaft Pulley that the crankshaft pulley may be causing the PS Pulley to wobble... or maybe I need both pulley's replaced.

If in reverse and not moving at all or very slowly backward while turning the steering wheel the squeal and 'rhythmic thudding' get worse.

At start up of COLD CAR the belt squeals more than once it is warmed up... and somewhat possible it that there is a wall around it making the noise louder and not as much road noise.. although this is not fully true...

I plan to spray wd40 on the Power Steering pulley and see if that quiets it down.

The Crank Pulley doesn't have any bearings in it though so spraying it with wd40 wouldnt' work right? Or wrong?

If I decide to swap out the tensioner/crank pulley and power steering pulley with a new belt replacement like a gatorback belt would I have any trouble removing the crank pulley? it's #29 here

Can someone explain what I have to do to remove the crank pulley? is it 1 bolt and washer and then 3 bolts or no? anything special to removing this besides what's shown here:
Old 07-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Re: Crankshaft Pulley/Power Steering Pulley wobble

The damper has an outer ring, attached to the inner ring by hard rubber. If the rubber cracks, the damper is going to wobble. I'd start there.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:26 AM

You don't need to remove the center bolt to remove the pulley-only the three bolts on the "spokes", just like the picture shows.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Administrator

As originally designed, the Pulley is a fairly loose fit over the hub. I took mine off when the car was less than 6 months old, and it fell off when I got the third bolt out. The only reason it becomes difficult to remove is the rust buildup between the hub and the pulley.