General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Cooling fans, a/c, headliner and radio questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:06 PM

Cooling fans, a/c, headliner and radio questions

Hey yal! I have a 95 Z28 and its been sitting in a garage for about 11 years. I recently got her going again and I have a few minor things I need to work out. Any info would be very helpful. First, if my memory serves me correctly, I have 2 cooling fans, correct? The reason I ask is, again if memory serves me correctly, the second fan used to kick on when sitting in traffic. The secondary fan isn't kicking on now days and myZ is runninga little warm while in traffic. Any ideas why?

Second, the A/C. Isn't cold anymore. Bought some freon from auto zone and tried to "Re juice" it but to no avail. I've heard something about getting the lines vacuumed. Is that something I can do as a shade tree mechanic?

Third, the interior headliner is starting to fall. Does anyone know if I can order a new completely redone headliner or do I have to order a cardboard (I've also seen plastic ones online) one and have it applied at am upholstery shop?

Last, I have a factory Bose Radio/CD player in my car. I like it and the way it used to sound. Now days, not so much. When I turn it on, it either sounds like a machine gun or the volume won't turn up. Any ideas on how to fix or where I can find a replacement for it?

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:54 AM

Re: Cooling fans, a/c, headliner and radio questions

About the headliner, check Rock Auto. You can get covered or uncovered headliners for both hardtop and t-top. I've never replaced one, but have heard it's a bit of a job to do.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:25 AM

You have two fans. On a 95 anytime the fans are on both of them should run. They run on low or high.

If all the freon has leaked out you need to vacuum the system before you recharge it. If you have some freon, but the pressure is low enough, the PCM will set a code and the compressor won't run. You can't charge it unless the compressor is running. You can pull the PCM fuse or disconnect the battery for a few seconds to reset the PCM. You need a vacuum pump and a set of gauges to vacuum the system. I would just take it to a shop.

If the headliner cardboard is in good shape you can just replace the fabric. It isn't hard but you have to get all the old foam off and use the correct glue. The fabric and glue are available online if you can't get it locally. You can also just take it to an upholstery shop.

The Bose radio uses an amp at each speaker. Capacitors in the amps fail and you get the noise and no volume. You can replace the capacitors or send them to be repaired. I fixed mine using a tutorial I found online but I don't have the link. You can also find shops that can fix them.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Administrator

The stock coolant temp setting for both fans on low is 226*F, both fans on high at 235*F.

Shoebox has infinite info on the LT1, the 95's in particular:

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids
Old 05-20-2014, 12:06 AM

Hey guys! Thanks for your input. I really appreciate all of the support us Z28 lovers get from everyone here. I have one more question. As I said before, my Z has been sitting for a while. The driver window won't roll down. I've ruled out the window motor because neither switch works on the drivers side. The driver can't roll down the driver or passenger window. I've ordered and installed a new switch and still nothing. I've done the wire test and the switch connector is getting power. So to say I'm stumped is an understatement. Any help?

Last edited by brentbrowning01; 05-20-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 PM

Btw your local auto zone rents out ac manifolds ands vac pumps actually redoing my ac right now it's not very hard just hook it up pull vacuum for 30 min them close the manifold and watch the gauges they should not drop vacuum otherwise it's leaking
Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Does the passenger side window work ok? Is it normal operation or does it go real slow or erratically?
The RAP module supplies the power to the windows and radio. It could be that the relay inside is having trouble carrying higher currents. But if the passenger side works fine, that is probably not the problem.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 PM

Hey check ur second fan relay or just directly hook it to the battery to see if it works, if it does then try the AC with the fan going, If it doesn't work u need to get a new fan, if it does you'll have to find out why it's not working, the second fan should come on when u turn on the AC. I have both my fans on a toggle switch n my AC won't blow cold if I don't turn,my fans on.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2014, 10:33 AM

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/app...dliner-867400/

Here's a write up I did when i needed to fix the headliner. Saves some money and looks great.