General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

coolent trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Question coolent trouble

not sure how to put this.. just replaced the lower raideator hose on my 97 z28.. filled it back up bled the air as much as i think or could tell out of the system and checked the little tank on the side....all is full.. i take the car for a ride the temp is reading good just like always but my low coolent light comes on after about 5-10 min of driven... when i let the car kool down and i check the coolent is right at the top and the little tank is full as well.. well reading where it should i should say.... but here is the strange part... when i take it out again the low coolent light will be off but comes back on after about 5-10 min... is this a low coolent sencer or something else????thanks for all the help....
Old 07-30-2010, 12:30 PM

Its most likely the sensor on your radiator more than likely if you say you bled it correctly when you drained your old coolant out gunk and stuff got on the sensor. Same thing happened to me years ago when I changed out my my hoses and water pump. I would come on sometimes never come on then it just stayed on all the time.

If you search many people have this problem I chose to just unplug my sensor it's not tied into the PCM in anyway it only controls the dash light. I did this years ago. Make sure you filled it correctly first did you open both bleeder screws? and wait for coolant to come out of them?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:45 PM

yes i did open both and waited for them both to have coolent comming out of them...i just wasnt sure if it was the sencer or not hate doing thing for nothing... thanks for your help...
Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 PM

The coolant sensor triggers the light is the level falls a few inches below the radiator fill neck where the sensor is located. If you see the level is low inside the radiator, then you just need to add coolant to reaplce the ait that worked its way out to the top of the radiator. If the coolant level is good, as you said it was, then it is likely the sensor or some other electrical problem. As suggested Camarozz95 suggested, unplug the sensor and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you found the problem.

I beleive in fixing things rather than ignoring them so I would try cleaning the sensor and if that does not work, just replace it. They are cheap and will warn you of a coolant leak before it becomes catastrophic.